X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh oh . . . I want another

I've owned the first kilt of my adult life for all of two weeks, my wife isn't a huge fan, and I already want another. After all, a guy can't wear the same kilt day after day.

But seriously, I can't stop myself from browsing tartans and thinking about what kilt comes next. It's bad (or great?). I have my eye on the USA Kilts "Kilts and Culture" tartan for another casual kilt.

My wife's reaction has been interesting to watch -- she's settled into something of a live and let live attitude, but says she will not be seen with me in public. (My response: that will change, wife, that will change.) She grew up in a German/Norwegian family surrounded by other Germans and Norwegians, so her exposure to kilts was nonexistent until we started going to highland games years ago. We got out of the habit when we moved a few years back, so she's not been around kilts in quite some time. What's been most interesting is that she and her family were completely unaware of some of what I'd consider the stereotypical thoughts on kilted men or just kilts in general, whereas I grew up in a family proud of their Scottish heritage. Fascinating that still after all these years there are new things to discover in a marriage.

A question for those who have been wearing kilts for years: have you ever encountered threatening or even violent responses from others while kilted in public?

My wife and a female friend of ours mentioned that this was a concern of theirs -- that the kilt would draw more attention than my usual clothing, and possible ridicule that could turn violent. (That is, that folks might try to mess with me because of the kilt.) I'm in no way one who goes looking for fights or even entertains the idea in confrontations (I got all that out of my system during years of competitive hockey), and while I generally don't like drawing attention, I just figure folks would stare, maybe offer up a smart *** comment, and move alone. Just curious about others' experiences.

Anyway, these aren't new thoughts for this forum, but since I'm not getting a whole of support from friends or family it feels good to spend a few minutes typing something up. And I'm interested in hearing what some your experiences have been. (Apologies if this has been asked before; I'm still trying to figure out the search function. I'm not great on internet forums.)

Thanks for reading!

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Wemedge For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To your question the answer is, no. But then, I live in the Highlands of Scotland.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 28th May 20 at 08:30 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve never been accosted or insulted for wearing a kilt. If it’s brought up at all, it’s usually questions about the tartan (“what family plaid is that?”) and if I’m Scottish (I answer that I am of Scottish ancestry which seems to satisfy people).

Harmless enough.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the International Kilt Addiction Support Group, where we support your kilt addiction.
    Never been harassed for wearing my kilts. The closest thing was being razzed by a friend for 'wearing a skirt', all of 20 seconds and no malice behind it. Most times I get no response or reaction, the few times I do are always positive.
    I like the K&C tartan in wool, but it is sold out and probably won't be available till next spring. I just wish the PV had the wool version's colors.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KnittedReenactor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good grief! Threats? Danger? Never! What kind of society do you run in?
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, all. I really can't see anyone actually harassing me either, though I've been accused of being an optimist in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by KnittedReenactor View Post
    Welcome to the International Kilt Addiction Support Group, where we support your kilt addiction.
    Never been harassed for wearing my kilts. The closest thing was being razzed by a friend for 'wearing a skirt', all of 20 seconds and no malice behind it. Most times I get no response or reaction, the few times I do are always positive.
    I like the K&C tartan in wool, but it is sold out and probably won't be available till next spring. I just wish the PV had the wool version's colors.
    Yes, this is exactly what it feels like! I've developed a compulsion to shop tartans and just "see" how much such-and-such a kilt would cost. There are worse things. And good point about the wool vs. PV in the K&C tartan; I guess I've been drooling over the wool colors. So . . . both then?!

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Wemedge For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite the opposite! I have found people generally make positive comments and many want a picture with you.... pre covid that is.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the others, my kilting experience has been almost all positive. Especially from women. Probably the worst I've gotten has been "the question". And then you have the other thing.
    I was reading a sort of memoir yesterday. The author was talking about high school days and a feud over a girl. As these things go, a fight ensued. He said he followed his father's advice and threw the first punch, knocking down the other guy. His opponent rose and removed his false front teeth. The author was reminded the other guy was a hockey player. The situation went downhill rapidly from there for our intrepid hero.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found most comments to be positive. The odd silly comment now and again. Of course, many people do not comment at all, and there's no telling what they are thinking!! But there has never been any hint of violence.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kiltedjohn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wemedge View Post
    I've owned the first kilt of my adult life for all of two weeks and I already want another.
    For sure I always want another, actually getting one takes me a lot more time!

Ten years ago I came into a bit of unexpected money and I ordered a 16oz handsewn Isle Of Skye kilt, the first kilt I had bought in quite a few years.

Just now I've purged myself, on Ebay, of a number of Scottish jackets and sporrans etc that I haven't worn in ages. With the money I yesterday put in my order for a kilt in the 16oz tartan tweed from Marton Mills in Hunting Stewart Weathered. I've been hankering for a Clan Stewart kilt since my recent discovery of Stewart ancestry.

a guy can't wear the same kilt day after day.
    I wouldn't know about that aspect. I've been wearing kilts since 1975, when I got my first set of pipes, and for me kiltwearing has always been ancillary to playing the pipes. The only time I would wear kilts on consecutive days is if I had a series of piping gigs, and for the last decade yes it would be the Isle Of Skye every day.

My wife's reaction has been interesting...a live and let live attitude, but says she will not be seen with me in public...her exposure to kilts was nonexistent until we started going to Highland Games...
    My wife's reaction is similar, though she's mostly Irish ancestry, with Scottish, English, French, and Swedish thrown in for good measure. When we met we were both doing Scottish Country Dancing and attending Highland Games so she's seen me kilted from the get-go. Nevertheless, she would think it strange if I were to suddenly start wearing the kilt outwith doing Scottish-themed things.

have you ever encountered threatening or violent responses while kilted in public?
    In 45 years of kiltwearing I have not.

A bandmate did though! He told the band the story afterwards:

The band had played an evening gig, and afterwards he was driving himself home, kilted, and needed to stop for gas. It was one of those scary gas stations one sees in parts of Los Angeles, in a bad neighborhood, where the attendant is sitting in a small metal shack behind bulletproof glass.

So our mate is standing there filling his gas-tank, he and the attendant are the only persons around, and a pickup truck pulls up and some tough-looking guys jump out of the back, they have things like crowbars and pieces of pipe in their hands, and they tell our band-mate "we're going to send you to the hospital."

Our mate smiles, says "I don't think so" and goes back to filling his tank.

The tough guys start walking closer and our mate turns to them, pulls out his service weapon, and says "Police."

They turn tail, jump back in their truck, and drive off.

I've often thought of that story. What if it had been me? I'm not a Police Officer, I don't have a weapon.

Something to keep in mind is that the fact that our mate was wearing a kilt might not have had much to do with it- they might have assaulted anyone they caught alone in the dark like that.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 29th May 20 at 11:54 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

18. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast