X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Encouragement for the more timid among us

Yesterday afternoon my wife and I took a picnic lunch up on the Blue Ridge Parkway for an afternoon of relaxing and enjoying the fall foliage at the higher elevations. I was, of course, wearing a kilt in my wife's tartan (Marshall).

For those who are unfamiliar with the Parkway I should mention that it is a motorcycle mecca. Everything from little Honda's to full rigged Harley hogs cruise that road.

Our picnic spot was just off the road so we enjoyed both the view and the parade of bikes. I had brought my banjo along, and was picking and grinning for the passers by. Some of the toughest looking hombres you can imagine gave me the thumbs-up as they cruised by. Not a single soul indicated a problem with my attire. At other times park rangers have stopped to chat, especially when I am in one of my Utilikilts.

So, you timid ones, are you going to wish forever? Or are you going to step out in the real world?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Encouragement for the more timid among us

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomlover
    Yesterday afternoon my wife and I took a picnic lunch up on the Blue Ridge Parkway for an afternoon of relaxing and enjoying the fall foliage at the higher elevations. I was, of course, wearing a kilt in my wife's tartan (Marshall).

For those who are unfamiliar with the Parkway I should mention that it is a motorcycle mecca. Everything from little Honda's to full rigged Harley hogs cruise that road.

Our picnic spot was just off the road so we enjoyed both the view and the parade of bikes. I had brought my banjo along, and was picking and grinning for the passers by. Some of the toughest looking hombres you can imagine gave me the thumbs-up as they cruised by. Not a single soul indicated a problem with my attire. At other times park rangers have stopped to chat, especially when I am in one of my Utilikilts.

So, you timid ones, are you going to wish forever? Or are you going to step out in the real world?
    I used to say the same thing. It became old very fast. Now I believe that the phrase "real men wear kilts" is about having the guts to wear a kilt in your everyday life.
    Those that are too timid to wear a kilt probably shouldn't wear one. Who am I to tell them otherwise?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a wonderful trip! I hope you took some photo's to share with us. You don't suppose it was the banjo getting the "thumbs-up" do you? BTW, do you pick Scruggs style or mountain? 8)

blu(grass fan)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a very nice afternoon.

What brand of banjo do you play? I play an unstained archtop Maple Blossom I had made by Deering. Mostly Scruggs style though I'm starting to learn clawhammer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My banjo is a 20 year old elDegas. I replaced all of the original peg tuners with machine style and added a Scruggs 5th string tuner. I quite got into it for a short while but, sadly, I haven't played for about 10 years. I love bluegrass and may pick it up again someday. Now I'm jonesing for a nice set of pipes. One of these days!

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story Freedomlover, that's what we are here for, to encourage one another.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blu (Ontario)
    ...You don't suppose it was the banjo getting the "thumbs-up" do you? BTW, do you pick Scruggs style or mountain? 8)

blu(grass fan)
    Scruggs style. I mess with clawhammer a little but not enough to get good at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Sounds like a very nice afternoon.

What brand of banjo do you play? I play an unstained archtop Maple Blossom I had made by Deering. Mostly Scruggs style though I'm starting to learn clawhammer.
    A 1987 Deering. When I pick it in the mountains I've been told it can be distinctly heard over a mile away. Maybe something to do with the topography. Of course the fact that I play with steel picks might have something to do with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldn't have said it any better! Great story
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rangers...

At other times park rangers have stopped to chat, especially when I am in one of my Utilikilts.
    But of course! We park rangers are in general a friendly (and eccentric) lot! :mrgreen:

Cheers,

T.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast