X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My planned project - and some questions

I have long been planning to do this project, but I'm just finally getting all the pieces in place. It's not a kilt or kilt accessory, but it's "kilt adjacent".

My plan is to make a patchwork/quilted blanket from tartan remnants received from Barb Tewksbury a while back. Originally I wanted to only use military-associated tartans in the blanket, but I don't have quite enough for the size I'm making. So there will be some other tartan in it that looks similar to military tartans. But the overall theme of the quilt will be reflective of a MOD-style kilt.

The blanket will be made to fit our double-size Edwardian bed. It will have 9-inch squares of tartan, separated by 2-inch "sashing" borders made from an olive green or khaki woollen (18oz) broadcloth, similar to military field jacket material. The blanket edge will be bound with 7/8-inch green wool twill tape, folded over like the top band of a military kilt. So the top layer of the blanket will be wool, I will use cotton batting as an intermediate insulating layer, and the bottom will be a lightweight wool tartan from my remnants. I have the block pattern mostly planned out, and am in the process of gathering up all the bits and bobs I'll need, like the right coloured thread.

Here's the bottom layer, a very soft flannel-like lightweight tartan material in Dress Gordon. Surprisingly, Barb sent me 4 yards of the stuff.

After hand-stitching a bunch of masks, I finally decided to put the work into getting my 1898 Singer model 27 treadle sewing machine running. It sat idle for a few decades in someone's shed until I bought it last year. It needs cleaning, oiling, a new treadle belt, and probably some adjustments, but it seems to be fully operational and has a box full of accessories. At 122 years of age, the decals are very worn and the wood has some water damage, but I just want it to be functional. Hopefully, I'll have this "iron lady" operational by this weekend.

So, on to my questions:

For those of you who machine-sew kilts and tartan garments, what weight/size thread should I be using to go through these multiple layers of wool plus batting? I'm assuming standard thread that's used for thin cotton sewing isn't going to do. It's been a long time since I've sewn anything on a machine, so I'll be practicing on some other scraps first and getting my stitch length and tension just right.

For those of you who make quilted blankets, got any advice on construction? I've never made a quilt before, and intend to just put my blocks together with sashing strips, then assemble the rows. In final assembly, I plan to top-stitch just inside the sashing (about 1/8" inside the sash material so it goes through the seam allowance that's turned to the sash side).

I'm not real sure how to get the edge binding put on neatly with hidden stitches like my MOD kilt has. I'm sure this is a common kiltmaker skill, but how does one do it?

Is anyone here experienced with antique Singer treadle machines? I've got manuals and and engineering background, but real-world experience/advice could help if I run into issues.

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to your project. How to make a quilt.. my wife made a couple a long time ago. I'll dig out the old books she got she made those, unless someone else gets in with the answers first.

Link sent via PM

Once again good luck on the project.

Frank
    Last edited by Highland Logan; 3rd June 20 at 06:44 PM.
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Highland Logan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s what I learnt to sew on age 4.

For sewing the patches together- just normal poly sewing thread.

For the quilting- that’s sewing all the layers together....
    a) hand sew with quilting thread like Gutermann - a whole other technique
    b) take it to one of the many professionals who can do it quickly on specialized machines

I’m not sure that the treadle will take all those thick layers .... and the grief may not be worth it.
    Machine quilting a top by domestic machine is a real art and talent, one many quilters outsource.

Luckily quilting is a huge craft - you will find so much information online that it will be easy to learn and find resources... much easier that kilt information

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here’s some links that may help.

http://malepatternboldness.blogspot....chine.html?m=0

Some links are old (as is the post) but Peter has lots of knowledge about vintage machines so check out other stuff on his blog or send him a message.

Local for you
    https://hillcountryquiltguild.com/
    They will have plenty of information and let you know who can quilt the top if you decide on that.

https://www.creations-online.com/
    And you get to wear your mask when you visit

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Lady Grey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! There are a lot of links there to chase down and go through. That will keep me busy for a while, LOL.

If doing the quilting of the assembled layers with a treadle machine is going to be too much for it, I suppose that's not too bad. I can do that by hand. My wife (a quilt collector, though not a quilter herself) says it's supposed to be done by hand anyway, for tradition's sake. I've been looking at all the quilts she has to see how the hand-stitching was done, and for what I want to do with just straight stitches along the edges of the sashing, I could probably handle that with a needle and thread.

I should mention, though, that I recently saw a video of an XMTS member (IsaacW) with an antique treadle machine, using it to stitch through the rise area of a kilt. With all the layers of pleated tartan, plus interfacing, it was plowing right through it at high speed. I will just have to experiment with layers and see how much mine can handle.

I'm just hoping that the machine can at least handle the assembling of all the blocks on the top. I'm not doing any fancy patterns or shapes. Just squares of tartan with sashing strips between, so it should never have to punch through more than two layers. I'm wanting this to be a fairly rudimentary, practical patchwork blanket with no frills or decorative touches. So if the treadle machine can sew through two layers of 16-18oz wool to put the top together, it will save me many hours of handwork and give me straighter lines in the assembly.

Off to read some websites...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh, I almost forgot about this one! One of those blog posts reminded me that I have a 1923 Singer model 99 that I inherited from my grandparents. It's one of them fancy new-fangled electric machines. This is the trouble with having a house full of antiques; you forget what you have sometimes. I'm slightly intimidated by the idea of plugging in and using a machine that has its original wiring from almost a century ago.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I recently saw a video of an XMTS member (IsaacW) with an antique treadle machine, using it to stitch through the rise area of a kilt. With all the layers of pleated tartan, plus interfacing, it was plowing right through it at high speed. I will just have to experiment with layers and see how much mine can handle.
    I have an old treadle sewing machine in a cabinet that lifts the sewing machine up when you unfold the lid. I haven't used it in ages, but it was all I used for many years. It will sew through anything. If memory serves, I even made a leather jacket once using that machine. I just bought a leather needle, popped it in, and it banged on like it was regular fabric.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Barb T For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Nana’s treadle could cope with 4yr old me, I’m sure it will cope with adult Tobus!

The people at the quilt guild will be a great help to you and if you look at the links to the right of Peters blog you will see some links to blogs of men who quilt who will also have lots of information.

Can’t wait to see progress pictures.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More random stuff....
    In Australia what you are making is called a Wagga Quilt, there is also Wagga rugs that are made of sacking/hessian.

The quilts were/are made of old wool suiting and tailor scraps- so exactly what you are doing!

http://motherpatchwork.blogspot.com/...gas-quilt.html

https://theplainneedlewoman.com/2018...y-wagga-quilt/

https://www.berryquiltandco.com.au/e...grace-widders/

The local historical museum that I used to volunteer at had one. Not the prettiest thing but very warm.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Lady Grey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was an old Singer treadle sewing machine at home which I used for years - it had been my father's mother's machine. I was rather sad to find that it was all spoilt with water damage from leaking fish tanks which had been kept on top of it.
    With cleaning and oiling they are just about immortal.

I have a Gamages hand operated machine from my student days. Cost £2 in a second hand shop near my lodgings. It will sew silk better than any modern machine.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast