X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Choosing a Tartan

Good Evening Everyone,

I am looking to have a kilt made in either one of the Grant tartans or the Maple Leaf tartan and I am seeking advice. I would like a bespoke, wool, 8 yard, 16 ounce, kilt to be my only kilt for all occasions. I am considering the Grant tartan in ancient, muted, and modern (in that order) and the maple leaf tartan. I realise and respect that tartan choice is not about looks, but my primary question is: given the choice which kilt would you most like to wear? Thanks for your opinions!

https://slanjkilts.com/best-selling-...aple-leaf-kilt

https://www.clangrant.org/index.aspx?pid=27

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the question should be, which tartan would YOU most like to wear? We can all tell you what we'd prefer, but that won't tell you what will make you happiest. Print pictures of each and look at them close up and then from far away to make sure you like the look both ways; squint if you have to (yes, it can make a difference. I have to admit I like "my" tartan better up close than from a distance). Think about which would go with colors you'd most like to wear with it, or which colors suit you best (this can especially make a difference between the modern and weathered/ancient colorways). Think about any tie you have to either (are you a Grant and the family tie-in might really matter to you? Or does it matter to you more to have one connected to where you're from?). Think about how you'll feel in various situations-- if Grant is your family tartan and you go to an event, will you feel funny if you chose the tartan that won't match everyone else's or that doesn't "represent" the family? Are you more likely to have to "explain" one than the other and will that make a difference to how you feel about it (some people don't want to have to constantly be explaining themselves to strangers in public; others would rather talk to people about it than not)? Do you see yourself ever getting tired of it?

And, of course, we all know that no matter which you choose, you'll likely want another one soon enough anyway.
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Katia For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I am just torn between both for different reasons and I was hoping some responses here might help break the tie.

Sláinte!

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me personally, if I were a Grant, I'd choose a Grant tartan. As a McIntosh, the only kilt I had for almost thirty years was Mackintosh tartan. When I finally replaced that kilt, I got another one in Hunting Mackintosh tartan. It was only way later that I got one in the Canadian Maple Leaf tartan. I guess that tells you that, to me, clan comes first.

BTW, welcome to XMTS from just off the west coast!
    Last edited by Macman; 6th June 20 at 11:44 AM.
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Macman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s the direction I am leaning in as well. If I’m honest I prefer the colours of the maple leaf tartan but I consider myself a traditionalist and tend to think a clan tartan is more traditional. Thanks for the reply!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi, if i where you i would go with the Grant hunting tartan over the other ones.

https://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tartanDetails?ref=277
    Last edited by Patty Logan; 6th June 20 at 03:19 PM.
    Clan Logan Representative of Ontario
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)
    https://www.tiktok.com/@clan_logan_ontario

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you referring to black watch / Campbell or a rarer Grant Hunting such as this: https://www.mccalls.co.uk/products/g...unting-ancient ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always see a tartan as a name tag. To me, if you wear Maple Leaf, it says "I am Canadian" period. If you wear Grant, it says "I am a Grant" also period.

Pick your statement, because frankly the colour of a name tag is not as important as the name on it. The colour is always correct because it's the tartan you're using to proclaim your identity.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

11. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Father Bill,

I agree completely about tartans being name tags. In theory I agree that colours do not matter, but at the same time I want a good looking kilt. Luckily I like all of my options. Thanks for your reply!

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Craig Elachie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with others who have said that if you have a clan affiliation, your first kilt should be in one of your clan's tartans.
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ASinclair For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast