X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    ... This week my lovely Star and I were going on a longer hike (12 miles) at Big Basin State Park. Cheers

Jamie

Nice to see you and the Flame Haired Goddess are doing well. Thanks for the comfortable and practical hiking kit suggestions!
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Standard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of times a year, I run group trips to the Highlands and Islands.

This includes hiking in Skye and around the Fort William/Glencoe area - as well as a fair bit of driving the minibus.

What are the Rabble's thoughts on the best choice of kilt for such activities - would you go with a 5 yarder, PV, lightweight or something else?

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    A couple of times a year, I run group trips to the Highlands and Islands.

This includes hiking in Skye and around the Fort William/Glencoe area - as well as a fair bit of driving the minibus.

What are the Rabble's thoughts on the best choice of kilt for such activities - would you go with a 5 yarder, PV, lightweight or something else?
    I do a lot of hiking and hill-walking both here in North America and there in Scotland and Ireland. I hiked the Cobbler in a cotton Utilikilt survival model and that was a terrible decision. I wish I had worn a 4 yard box pleat wool kilt or a PV kilt. My favourites for active walking are balanced garments, a 4 yard box pleat or a low yardage knife pleat.

I spend most of my summer in Ireland and depending on the summer the weather can be predictably unpredictable. But usually means rain showers or mist at the very least. Which is why I usually prefer wool.

Here, in rural western Massachusetts, I prefer “semi-traditional” PV kilts. When the temperature reaches the low 30s C, and high humidity, wool is simply not comfortable for me.

Enjoy!
    Jonathan

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent many weekend days wandering about the parks and city of Beijing kilted. Although they weren't straight nature hikes, I would definitely cover several miles a day exploring the park and the surrounding urban area. And the uneven pavements and constant construction in Chinese cities mean that city strolls can take on many of the challenges of backwoods hiking, with little warning.

On cooler days, I wore my wool kilt and on the warmer ones I wore a cotton flannel "comfy" model from SportKilt. At the time, I had sporran hangers rather than a strap, so the sporran was always in front, with no problem. My Rob Roy style sporran can hold a lot, but I often supplemented with a lightweight canvas shoulder bag to hold any bulky items--usually sun block and a book to read on the subway getting to my destination.

A Tilley hat, lightweight linen shirt, and cotton knee socks were functional accessories in the summer. Winter weather called for more traditional gear: wool sweaters and hose, tweed jackets, a balmoral, etc. My Vasque hiking boots served as footwear in all weather conditions.

Now that I'm living further south (near Hong Kong), I find that my old 5-yard lightweight (11 oz) kilt from Scotweb is actually a very comfortable choice in the hot, humid summer weather.

I do find it very helpful to put the sporran at my hip or leave it home if I have to do any running in the kilt.

Andrew

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. I have also experimented with what are good options for me in my area. I'm also a fan of the Tilley hats and have one that I use everyday when it's not cold -- when it is cold, I have a wool felt hat I use. I have yet to do any running in a kilt -- usually when I'm running AFTER my dog or something but that's not planned and I don't go for long.

Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    I spent many weekend days wandering about the parks and city of Beijing kilted. Although they weren't straight nature hikes, I would definitely cover several miles a day exploring the park and the surrounding urban area. And the uneven pavements and constant construction in Chinese cities mean that city strolls can take on many of the challenges of backwoods hiking, with little warning.

On cooler days, I wore my wool kilt and on the warmer ones I wore a cotton flannel "comfy" model from SportKilt. At the time, I had sporran hangers rather than a strap, so the sporran was always in front, with no problem. My Rob Roy style sporran can hold a lot, but I often supplemented with a lightweight canvas shoulder bag to hold any bulky items--usually sun block and a book to read on the subway getting to my destination.

A Tilley hat, lightweight linen shirt, and cotton knee socks were functional accessories in the summer. Winter weather called for more traditional gear: wool sweaters and hose, tweed jackets, a balmoral, etc. My Vasque hiking boots served as footwear in all weather conditions.

Now that I'm living further south (near Hong Kong), I find that my old 5-yard lightweight (11 oz) kilt from Scotweb is actually a very comfortable choice in the hot, humid summer weather.

I do find it very helpful to put the sporran at my hip or leave it home if I have to do any running in the kilt.

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it's been a while since I checked in on this forum, and here's a thread made for me!

Although I've done some shorter hikes in an 8-yard 16oz wool kilt, my long-distance kilt of choice is 4-yard P/V. I've found that this works just as well in snow and freezing temperatures as it does for humid and desert conditions. I have made no attempt to wearing traditional Highland wear on my longer hikes, opting instead for tall gaiters (when going through snow or bushwhacking conditions) and a technical shirt.

On my first 2,000+ mile hike I wore a belt bag instead of a sporran:

On my second 2,600+ mile hike I wore a modern version of a sporran, but a little higher than traditional so it didn't rub against my thighs as much when I walked:

As to what I might wear under....

10. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Andrew Breecher For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just spent a week in Yellowstone and The Grand Tetons. almost 40 miles in hiking. I wore my kilts for three of the hikings in Yellowstone, wore jeans in Grand tetons. Told my wife the jeans were so uncomfortable that it's kilts for hiking from now on.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	southrim.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	167.3 KB 
ID:	38999Click image for larger version. 

Name:	107592954_10221658958081125_4627610626694220440_n.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	39000Click image for larger version. 

Name:	106741670_10221659244408283_5729443697548943328_n.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	39001
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

12. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Richrail For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know i'm tardy but felt compelled to comment

With Fanny packs, messenger bags, jacket pockets and many other load carrying options available, do you really need a sporran at all? i would apply this only when hiking, camping or other outdoor recreation. If you find yourself, either on purpose or completely by accident conducting any physical activity, where the sporran is an issue and have other options available, such as a day pack or the messenger bag you are going to use anyway, why not leave the sporran at home (or in the car if you're going out for dinner afterwards)and carry your belongings in your daypack or whatever you may be using.
    Also, i have to state there are some absolutely beautiful photos on this thread.
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jacques For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    With Fanny packs, messenger bags, jacket pockets and many other load carrying options available, do you really need a sporran at all? i would apply this only when hiking, camping or other outdoor recreation. If you find yourself, either on purpose or completely by accident conducting any physical activity, where the sporran is an issue and have other options available, such as a day pack or the messenger bag you are going to use anyway, why not leave the sporran at home (or in the car if you're going out for dinner afterwards)and carry your belongings in your daypack or whatever you may be using.
    Also, i have to state there are some absolutely beautiful photos on this thread.
    Hey Jacques,

Thanks for commenting! I agree with you: I recently purchased a light-weight bum bag (I can't bring myself to say fxxxxx pack!) <hahaha!> and will test that out. I have found that keeping the sporran light and putting most of the stuff in another spot has helped. When going for impromptu walks, I have taken the sporran off and put it across my chest with the bag on my back.

I'm very pleased to hear from comrades about their ideas.

Jonathan

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm entering this discussion a bit late. There was a time, ten or fifteen years ago, when I wore a 'suspended' sporran that didn't allow me to move belt and all to the side whilst climbing fences and styles.

Uncomfortable, but I got over it and found a simple leather pouch sporran did the job and I could move it to the left to accommodate the game bag I wear over my shoulder to the right.

Then, in recent years I've not worn a sporran hill-walking at all and found that my gilet and its many pockets or my Percussion carried pretty much everything I needed.

18. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast