X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Tartan ID, Please

The web store advertises this as a Seaforth Highlanders MacKenzie (is there such a thing? i didn't know), Seaforth Highlanders, and from customer comments it might be a MacKenzie, or maybe a Gordon. Either the company is being a bit coy or they really don't know. i've looked online but there are so many digital versions of these tartans all i got was a headache. Might be time to visit my optometrist. Thanks much in advance for your help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kilt wpg.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	39139

Jacques
    Last edited by Jacques; 17th August 20 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Grammar, it's always about the grammar.
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Seaforth Highlanders wore the MacKenzie tartan, hence the confusion in the name. It is the MacKenzie tartan, as worn by the Seaforth Highlanders; there is no such thing as the Seaforth Highlanders MacKenzie tartan. The regiment amalgamated with the Cameron Highlanders in 1961 to form the Queens Own Highlanders.

The killt in the picture is a Gordon Highlanders' one i.e. Gordon tartan, not MacKenzie.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    The Seaforth Highlanders wore the MacKenzie tartan, hence the confusion in the name. It is the MacKenzie tartan, as worn by the Seaforth Highlanders; there is no such thing as the Seaforth Highlanders MacKenzie tartan. The regiment amalgamated with the Cameron Highlanders in 1961 to form the Queens Own Highlanders.

The killt in the picture is a Gordon Highlanders' one i.e. Gordon tartan, not MacKenzie.
    Thank you Peter. Maybe it was the late time of day, but the more i tried to determine differences with the tartans, the more they appeared to be similar.
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924