X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Targe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Targe

Made this back in my heyday of reenacting in the late 70's early 80's. I used sheepskin on the back. 20200609_085731_copy_734x1305.jpg

2. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to DCampbell16B For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The longsword side I play for is just learning a 'distancing dance' called Les Bouffons which is danced with sword and targe.
    I suspect I know who is going to be making targes once we can go out to dance.....

I hope I can make as good a job of them as that - they are actually struck during the dance, so they'll need to work.
    Any more details on the construction?

Is there a standard size?
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll try to be organized about this. I think averages were about 18-20 inches. I'll tell you what I did, then give you my suggestions. Bear in mind that Peter MacDonald (figheadair) has handled originals, so anything he recommends takes precedence over this.

I have done two. Both were over 3/4 inch plywood (because the originsls were laminated wood as well, right?). I would recommend 1/2 inch plywood, or if you want to be really correct, two layers of 1/4 inch oak. Just make sure your brass tacks are not longer than that...

I used a heavy cowhide. I would recommend a medium weight is all that is necessary.

What I did was wet the hide thoroughly, stretch over the wood then tack on the back.
    One backed with deerhide with the hair on and this one with sheepskin. Both were sewn over the hide on the back. I have seen them with the hide tacked over the skin on the back.

I borrowed tools to do the tooling, which is also done after wetting the area you want to work. Layout is with a compass.

The bosses were done with a positive and negative mold I made up. The flat brass is screwed to the edges of the mold, then the halves swuezzed together. I think these could have used a sharper bend around the edge, which needed a better mold. Anneal the brass a lot! It looks better if you can get more than one size brass tack head. I didn't.

Here is a picture of the back. I did it to fit my needs at the time. The long strap is for carrying on you back and gives you a good place to hang a pistol. If you are really going to dance with these things I'd leave that off. It's just going to flop all over. That buckle will put you eye out.

Somewhere I have some drawings I made (pre digital age) of the backs of some of the targes at Inverary Castle (and thereby hangs a tale). I suspect at least some of them were Highland Revival, but would have to find the drawings and make a best guess as to what was what. Again, figheadair should have your answer.

20200609_085751_copy_1305x734.jpg

Also there is an out of print book on Gutenberg.org which can be downloaded for free.
    "Highland Targets and other Shields" by James Drummond, from 1873.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah - simple but effective - though some of the daintier dancers are going to find it a bit of a work out. At the moment they are practicing with wooden swords, but they plan to use metal once the handles are repaired.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.