X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eBay dilemma ...I'm at a loss here

Generally speaking, I've had good luck buying things on eBay, even from the UK. It takes a while for things to get here, but I've rarely had any problems.

However, I purchased another vintage kilt jacket (doublet) in early May that turned into an issue. Here's how it played out:

5 May: I made the purchase from ebay.co.uk. I paid via Paypal as usual.

11 May: The seller shipped my jacket. I received tracking information for Pitney Bowes with an estimated delivery of 26-29 May to my home in Kerrville, Texas.

14 May: The jacket cleared customs.

20 May: In transit with destination carrier, Monroe Township, New Jersey.

21 May: In transit with destination carrier, Greenwood, Indiana.

21 May: In transit with destination carrier, Kerrville, Texas.

22 May: Out for delivery in Grapevine, Texas. (????? - this is 280 miles from Kerrville)

29 May: In transit with destination carrier, Grapevine, Texas.

2 June: In transit with destination carrier, Grapevine, Texas.

2 June: Out for delivery in San Antonio, Texas. (this is 65 miles from Kerrville)

12 June: Being confused about where my jacket actually was, not knowing who the destination carrier was, not seeing any movement or activity on the package for 10 days, and my package being a full 2 weeks late from its estimated delivery, I messaged the seller on eBay and told them the situation. I used the "ask the seller a question" feature. I asked how much longer I should wait before considering the package lost and requesting a refund.

13 June: eBay customer service messaged me and said they stepped in to escalate it to a refund. They refunded my money without my asking them to, and before I got any response from the seller.

13 June: My package suddenly and mysteriously arrived, with the tracking info still not having been updated for 11 days.

15 June: I messaged the seller again to tell them that I received the package but eBay had already refunded my money, and asked how I should proceed (i.e. pay again, or have them revoke the refund). I wanted to make sure the seller wasn't left holding the proverbial bag. The seller responded quickly and said they didn't refund my money. Since they shipped it through eBay global shipping, apparently it is eBay that takes the loss and not the seller. The seller said I should take it up with eBay.

At this point, I replied to the eBay customer service people to ask them the same question (how to re-pay for the item), who responded thusly: "As per eBay policy you're not obliged to pay for the item. You can keep the item as well as your refund. It's totally fine with us. If you really want to help the seller with the payment then you can use the below link and communicate with the seller to know the way to pay for the item again. The payments completed outside of eBay checkout won't be covered under eBay MoneyBack Guarantee hence I request you to pay only if you've inspected the item and you're sure that you don't want to return it for a refund in future. There is no other way to pay for the item to the seller and when the buyer escalates the case we don't have any other option except take the final decision based on the available data on the case so in future you should consider communicating with the seller if you just want to know whereabouts of the item."

This leaves me confused. The seller says they have their money. eBay says I can just keep the jacket for free, or I can pay the seller again. I'm sure most people, seeing this reply, would celebrate getting a free jacket and leave it at that. But it doesn't feel right to me. I'm a little peeved that eBay scolded me, saying that I escalated the case and that in the future I should just contact the seller when that's exactly what I did! I didn't escalate it. They jumped in between me and the seller and issued a refund that I wasn't yet asking for. And now I have the jacket for free, but would like to be honest and pay whoever is out the money for it. But eBay isn't giving me an option to pay them back, simply saying I should pay the seller. But the seller already has their money, and it would be silly to pay them twice.

What the heck do I do here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tobus,

You checked all the boxes and have done your due diligence. If the seller or eBay reacted in a way you did not foresee is not your fault. If eBay's policy is for you to keep the jacket and the money, then i say keep the jacket and the money. The seller is happy and eBay could care less, or so it seems. Maybe save the email exchanges for a few months, just a mild paranoiac thought.

Also, i recall talk of spats some time ago, and discovered this link online over the weekend. Thought it might be helpful to you.

https://www.burnetts-struth.com/spats-custom-sizing/

Jacques
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar situation a few years ago; purchased a guitar that was shipped through eBay international shipping (they packaged it up for international shipping as well). When it arrived, it was damaged due to insufficient packaging; still playable but required some work to fix.

Contacted seller, they said file a claim with eBay (I only wanted money to cover the repair). Recieved full refund and told to keep the guitar. Contacted seller as I didn't want them to be out the guitar and money and they said they still had the money. Contacted eBay and they said their policy was full refund (from them) as it was their international shipping that caused the issue.

So at this point, while I understand your dilemma, I'd say you've done everything you can to make sure the seller didn't lose money and you've offered to make eBay whole even though they don't seem to want you to.

Shane
    Last edited by gsmacleod; 15th June 20 at 12:23 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m the same when it comes to seeing things right and not leaving anyone at a financial loss, I think in this case the only one out is eBay and they’re not overly concerned. If you feel uneasy with keeping the refund then consider donating it to a charity, there are many that could use the help right now.
    Being male is a matter of birth,
    Being a man is a matter of maturity,
    Being a gentleman is a matter of choice!

6. The Following 10 Users say 'Aye' to MacCathmhaoil For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Generally speaking, I've had good luck buying things on eBay, even from the UK. It takes a while for things to get here, but I've rarely had any problems.

However, I purchased another vintage kilt jacket (doublet) in early May that turned into an issue. Here's how it played out:

5 May: I made the purchase from ebay.co.uk. I paid via Paypal as usual.

11 May: The seller shipped my jacket. I received tracking information for Pitney Bowes with an estimated delivery of 26-29 May to my home in Kerrville, Texas.

14 May: The jacket cleared customs.

20 May: In transit with destination carrier, Monroe Township, New Jersey.

21 May: In transit with destination carrier, Greenwood, Indiana.

21 May: In transit with destination carrier, Kerrville, Texas.

22 May: Out for delivery in Grapevine, Texas. (????? - this is 280 miles from Kerrville)

29 May: In transit with destination carrier, Grapevine, Texas.

2 June: In transit with destination carrier, Grapevine, Texas.

2 June: Out for delivery in San Antonio, Texas. (this is 65 miles from Kerrville)

12 June: Being confused about where my jacket actually was, not knowing who the destination carrier was, not seeing any movement or activity on the package for 10 days, and my package being a full 2 weeks late from its estimated delivery, I messaged the seller on eBay and told them the situation. I used the "ask the seller a question" feature. I asked how much longer I should wait before considering the package lost and requesting a refund.

13 June: eBay customer service messaged me and said they stepped in to escalate it to a refund. They refunded my money without my asking them to, and before I got any response from the seller.

13 June: My package suddenly and mysteriously arrived, with the tracking info still not having been updated for 11 days.

15 June: I messaged the seller again to tell them that I received the package but eBay had already refunded my money, and asked how I should proceed (i.e. pay again, or have them revoke the refund). I wanted to make sure the seller wasn't left holding the proverbial bag. The seller responded quickly and said they didn't refund my money. Since they shipped it through eBay global shipping, apparently it is eBay that takes the loss and not the seller. The seller said I should take it up with eBay.

At this point, I replied to the eBay customer service people to ask them the same question (how to re-pay for the item), who responded thusly: "As per eBay policy you're not obliged to pay for the item. You can keep the item as well as your refund. It's totally fine with us. If you really want to help the seller with the payment then you can use the below link and communicate with the seller to know the way to pay for the item again. The payments completed outside of eBay checkout won't be covered under eBay MoneyBack Guarantee hence I request you to pay only if you've inspected the item and you're sure that you don't want to return it for a refund in future. There is no other way to pay for the item to the seller and when the buyer escalates the case we don't have any other option except take the final decision based on the available data on the case so in future you should consider communicating with the seller if you just want to know whereabouts of the item."

This leaves me confused. The seller says they have their money. eBay says I can just keep the jacket for free, or I can pay the seller again. I'm sure most people, seeing this reply, would celebrate getting a free jacket and leave it at that. But it doesn't feel right to me. I'm a little peeved that eBay scolded me, saying that I escalated the case and that in the future I should just contact the seller when that's exactly what I did! I didn't escalate it. They jumped in between me and the seller and issued a refund that I wasn't yet asking for. And now I have the jacket for free, but would like to be honest and pay whoever is out the money for it. But eBay isn't giving me an option to pay them back, simply saying I should pay the seller. But the seller already has their money, and it would be silly to pay them twice.

What the heck do I do here?
    Pay the seller again via Paypal, since your previous payment was refunded.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlpope View Post
    Pay the seller again via Paypal, since your previous payment was refunded.
    But the seller still has the money I paid the first time. If I paid them again, they would have earned twice the value of the jacket.

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    But the seller still has the money I paid the first time. If I paid them again, they would have earned twice the value of the jacket.
    Then don’t pay the seller again (and get the jacket for free.)

😃

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my book, your responsibility ended when you tried honourably to make it all right. E-Bay may not want the nuisance of making the entry in their books.

If you want to, you could send the money to me.

But perhaps not.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

13. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it’s just me, but I think that I might be inclined to keep the paperwork in the bottom drawer for a year or two. Just in case.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

15. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    In my book, your responsibility ended when you tried honourably to make it all right. E-Bay may not want the nuisance of making the entry in their books.
    After stewing on it for a day, I suppose this is the best resolution I'm going to find from this affair. The seller is whole, I am whole, and eBay is satisfied to take the loss in the interest of customer satisfaction and their reputation. I made an honest and transparent attempt to put it right, and all parties seem to be in agreement that our business is concluded. I just have this nagging feeling that I "got away with" something, which I find distasteful.

The doublet itself (and accompanying waistcoat which I had to purchase separately from the seller) is lovely. It's a vintage forest green barathea shell with black lapel and black trim at the cuffs and tashes. The waistcoat is black. The style of the doublet is rather unique, defying any classification into modern definitions (i.e. it's not one of the named modern style doublets). Much of the construction appears to be hand-stitched. I'll have to do a bit of seam repair on one of the sleeves where it meets the shoulder, as well as shorten the sleeves by about an inch. But it should be a lovely pairing with my Wilsons-colours Colquhoun kilt, if that kilt ever gets finished.

17. The Following 12 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast