X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

49th West Riding Black Watch

Here's an interesting thing.

He's obviously a soldier of The Black Watch.

But his divisional badge is the polar bear, the 49th West Riding. That got me curious!

I looked it up, what helps date the photo was that the polar bear was changed to the roaring design in April 1943.

According to the organizational chart I found on Wiki, this man must be in the "1st Battalion Tyneside Scottish (Black Watch)".

I've seen Tyneside Scottish badges, I didn't realise they were part of The Black Watch. Wiki says they were raised as the 12th Battalion Durham Light Infantry in 1939 but "secured affiliation" with The Black Watch in 1940. After exemplary service in Western Europe in WWII they became an artillery regiment in 1947.

Wiki says the 70th Infantry Brigade, in which that Battalion served, was disbanded in August 1944.

Last edited by OC Richard; 18th June 20 at 03:04 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just unrolled some of that tartan to begin thinking about making a kilt for myself - was doing all sorts of considering.
    Looking at the photo I see that I have one of those canvas belts - but it is part of the battledress.
    There is no centring of the set on the apron.

The man stands like a classical Greek statue, I suppose it is quite instinctive or natural to him - and the image has just about perfect proportions. Heel to hem equal to hem to waist and waist to chin, and the head is half that height. You can see why the 'correct' position of the lower edge of the kilt is at the top of the kneecap.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    I just unrolled some of that tartan to begin thinking about making a kilt for myself - was doing all sorts of considering.
    Looking at the photo I see that I have one of those canvas belts - but it is part of the battledress.
    There is no centring of the set on the apron.

Anne the Pleater
    Anne, if I have understood you correctly, you will need a 37 pattern webbing belt (the latter 39 pattern was specific use and made of leather). Alternatively, a 58 pattern is quite similar, although more olive green in colour. The Battle dress belt is as you correctly state, attached and sits to the right hand side generally. This is to deconflict with the buckle on the web belt.
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Blaidd For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OCR, you are probably aware but the 49th Bde continues even now. It isn’t now the 49th Infantry Bde, still based as Chetwynd Bks, Chilwell, Nottingham, UK. Previously, as 49 (Eastern) Bde, when I was there only a few years ago.
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post

The man stands like a classical Greek statue, I suppose it is quite instinctive or natural to him - and the image has just about perfect proportions.

Anne the Pleater
    If the RSM had seen him standing like that, he'd have had severe ear bashing. With what today would be a politically incorrect statement of his gender affiliation.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Q For This Useful Post: