X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking For A Particular Sporran

Hey folks, thanks for having me. I wore a kilt quite a bit in college, but I stopped for over a decade now and I'm thinking, I should start again. I used to have a sporran much like this one from the Tartan's Museum, but it had no badge on it and a plain rubbed front. The original was destroyed by mildew many years ago. Is this maker exclusive to the Tartans Museum? I'm hoping to find one like what I had before. https://scottishtartansgiftshop.com/...-weave-sporran

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sporran was made by a company called Buzz Kidder. Many retailers used to carry them as they were high quality and a very reasonable price. (Not to be confused with Buzz Kidder Originals from CA.) But Buzz retired and his brother took over. The company moved a few times. Many stopped carrying them when the shipping slowed down to a crawl and became unreliable.
    The last time I checked I could not find them anymore.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    This sporran was made by a company called Buzz Kidder. Many retailers used to carry them as they were high quality and a very reasonable price. (Not to be confused with Buzz Kidder Originals from CA.) But Buzz retired and his brother took over. The company moved a few times. Many stopped carrying them when the shipping slowed down to a crawl and became unreliable.
    The last time I checked I could not find them anymore.
    Steve,

I see Mark at most of our Nor Cal Games and the Buzz Kidder sporrans he sells seem to be the same quality as the old Loch Ness Model Buzz Kidder sporran Star bought me from the Scottish Tartan's Museum years ( ) ago

They have the Celtic Weave Sporran the OP is looking for

https://www.originalkilt.com/product...-day-sporrans/

I'm not sure what the difference between the Buzz Kidder and Buzz Kidder Originals are (except that the new ones have chrome badges that I don't particularly like.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but the sporran quality (in my mind) is the same.

The BK sporrans are always made of thick, strong, yet supple leather.

My old Loch Ness model has held up extremely well (and to me) still looks pretty new

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Panache For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jamie,

I can't say that I know what the situation is now, but a few years ago we had both Buzz and his brother Randy on the forum talking about the situation with Buzz Kidder Originals. (It appears that this old thread may have been among those deleted in late 2009 or early 2010.)
    At the time Buzz was saying that the CA outfit used to be an outlet for Buzz's products. But then split off but kept the name. Buzz claimed that the use of the name he had not unauthorized nor had he authorized copies of his products.

There is a lot of confusion over the name Buzz Kidder as you may see four different companies. One is the real original wholesales operation, One the Retail, these two used to be run by Buzz and his brother Randy out of AZ. and may be defunct. The third is now run out of San Antonio, TX. by the daughter of Randy Kidder. The "Original" site is totally separate and out of CA.

Buzz used to claim that the CA site had nothing to do with him anymore and implied that there was some law suit or other bad blood between them.

I personally never dealt with the Buzz Kidder Originals after a telephone call left a really bad taste in my mouth.

And stopped ordering from Buzz or Randy after they began to take long and longer to fulfill orders. My last order took 13 months to arrive.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jamie,

I can't say that I know what the situation is now, but a few years ago we had both Buzz and his brother Randy on the forum talking about the situation with Buzz Kidder Originals. (It appears that this old thread may have been among those deleted in late 2009 or early 2010.)
    At the time Buzz was saying that the CA outfit used to be an outlet for Buzz's products. But then split off but kept the name. Buzz claimed that the use of the name he had not unauthorized nor had he authorized copies of his products.

There is a lot of confusion over the name Buzz Kidder as you may see four different companies. One is the real original wholesales operation, One the Retail, these two used to be run by Buzz and his brother Randy out of AZ. and may be defunct. The third is now run out of San Antonio, TX. by the daughter of Randy Kidder. The "Original" site is totally separate and out of CA.

Buzz used to claim that the CA site had nothing to do with him anymore and implied that there was some law suit or other bad blood between them.

I personally never dealt with the Buzz Kidder Originals after a telephone call left a really bad taste in my mouth.

And stopped ordering from Buzz or Randy after they began to take long and longer to fulfill orders. My last order took 13 months to arrive.
    Steve,

I have no idea about the history there. I have been seeing Mark of Buzz Kidder Originals at the games here in California for years. (They are the Sport Kilt distributer/representative for CA). My personal experience is that he and his crew provide great customer service. If the OP is looking for one of those types of sporrans that the Scottish Tartan Museum used to sell my personal opinion is that he will find that the BKO to be of the same quality.

I would say that I'd ask Mark about it at the next games and report back....

.....but that might be a while!!!

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Panache For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jamie,

If you get a chance, please pass on an invitation for the owner of Buzz Kidder Originals to offer his side. As they say "The rest of the story". I for one would be very interested to hear what he has to say.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a lot of confusion over the name Buzz Kidder as you may see four different companies.
    Wow that's as convoluted as the Warnocks, there's six of them I think. IIRC one of the Warnocks lost the right to use the name "Warnock" so he uses a different name...while a person not named Warnock does use that name.

(Difficult to figure out the interrelationships of family, former family, business partners, and former business partners in the group of Warnock firms, who make bagpipes, chanters, and reeds.)
    Last edited by OC Richard; 30th June 20 at 06:14 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte