X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi from NZ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiltedjohn View Post
    Looks like kilts are now international! (I've known that for a long time really.) I'm a Scotsman living in the English midlands. I love Edinburgh (though I come from the rival city, Glasgow). I'd love to go up there for a holiday, but the Covid-19 lockdown is keeping me away.

My husband is a weegie! We haven't been back to Edinburgh since we left in 1990 and it would have been at least that long since we were in Glasgow too.

Yes Covid has put the brakes on a lot of travel plans! Enjoy your trip when you get there.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kiltsnquilts For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd View Post
    Croeso from a Welsh cilt wearer, currently living in the Netherlands.
    I have yet to make a kilt in a Welsh tartan. My Dad was born in Merthyr Tydfil and his family originate from the Pontypridd area a few generations back.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kiltsnquilts For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiltsnquilts View Post
    I have yet to make a kilt in a Welsh tartan. My Dad was born in Merthyr Tydfil and his family originate from the Pontypridd area a few generations back.
    I look forward to seeing the results....
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A warm Scottish welcome from central England. I have to admit that on a brief visit to NZ a few years ago, I saw more kilts than I would normally see on a visit to Scotland, Highland games excepted. Mainly school children and pipers but more kilts in one day than on several in Edinburgh, when I only saw 2 and one of those was a shop assistant in a kilt shop.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpa View Post
    A warm Scottish welcome from central England. I have to admit that on a brief visit to NZ a few years ago, I saw more kilts than I would normally see on a visit to Scotland, Highland games excepted. Mainly school children and pipers but more kilts in one day than on several in Edinburgh, when I only saw 2 and one of those was a shop assistant in a kilt shop.
    Yes I often get asked by non kilt wearers if there is a market for kilts in NZ! I am certainly not short of work!!

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kiltsnquilts For This Useful Post:

tpa

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiltsnquilts View Post
    Yes I often get asked by non kilt wearers if there is a market for kilts in NZ! I am certainly not short of work!!
    I'm not surprised, the NZ population seemed to regard kilt wearing as nothing unusual. When I was there, I wore my kilt every day and I never heard any of the horn tooting or inappropriate comments I very occasionally get subjected to over here in Derbyshire.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Sunny Southern California!

(Actually it's been foggy and hazy all week.)

So cool, your life story.

My wife and I came close to having Scottish-born weens. She's a cartographer and many years ago the owner of a Scottish mapping firm was touring my wife's California mapping firm.

He was walking about the facility, dropping by the various cartographer's cubicles and chatting about the then-new cartographic software my wife's firm was using, that the Scot's firm was in the process of acquiring.

In my wife's cubicle he saw photos of our honeymoon in Scotland, a wedding photo with me kilted, and so forth.

He said "so, you fancy Scotland?"

"Oh, yes, as you see we did our honeymoon there."

"Would you like to live there?"

As it happened, he wasn't just gathering information about transitioning to the new software, he was recruiting people who were already familiar with it, to train his staff in Edinburgh.

Had my wife accepted we would have been living in Scotland for 30 years now and both our kids would have been born there. But alas the kids are Californians through and through.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 25th July 20 at 07:05 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

tpa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpa View Post
    I'm not surprised, the NZ population seemed to regard kilt wearing as nothing unusual. When I was there, I wore my kilt every day and I never heard any of the horn tooting or inappropriate comments I very occasionally get subjected to over here in Derbyshire.
    Actually, I think that NZ is more tolerant of anyone wearing anything that isn't mainstream. You could walk down the Main Street wearing gumboots and a top hat and not get a second glance haha. You could wear anything from trackies or jeans to a full formal suit to a wedding and not look/be made to feel out of place. I love that!

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kiltsnquilts For This Useful Post:

tpa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Welcome from Sunny Southern California!

(Actually it's been foggy and hazy all week.)

So cool, your life story.

My wife and I came close to having Scottish-born weens. She's a cartographer and many years ago the owner of a Scottish mapping firm was touring my wife's California mapping firm.

He was walking about the facility, dropping by the various cartographer's cubicles and chatting about the then-new cartographic software my wife's firm was using, that the Scot's firm was in the process of acquiring.

In my wife's cubicle he saw photos of our honeymoon in Scotland, a wedding photo with me kilted, and so forth.

He said "so, you fancy Scotland?"

"Oh, yes, as you see we did our honeymoon there."

"Would you like to live there?"

As it happened, he wasn't just gathering information about transitioning to the new software, he was recruiting people who were already familiar with it, to train his staff in Edinburgh.

Had my wife accepted we would have been living in Scotland for 30 years now and both our kids would have been born there. But alas the kids are Californians through and through.
    That is a cool story, it is funny to think what could have happened! I love Scotland and loved living there.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kiltsnquilts For This Useful Post:

tpa

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12