X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

original tartan book, cloth samples

This is interesting, said to be an "author's working draft" of The Setts Of The Scottish Tartans by Donald Calder Stewart.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Setts-Of-Sc...oAAOSwx2lbk99q
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been watching this for some time in the hope of getting it for the STA but not at the original asking price. Even now it's to expensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good morning - I have been registered as a member for some time, and have enjoyed reading and learning through this site. This is the first time I have felt compelled to post. I hope I am not violating any Forum rules, but thought to offer a modest $50 USD donation to help fund the acquisition of this book for the STA. Given all I have learned from this site and its owner and contributors, this is a small opportunity to give back. Please PM me as to how to transmit funds. Best regards, Joel

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could be wrong but isn't it mostly a curiosity rather than something with scholarly value? Because the information is contained in the published book?

Like a signed first edition of a novel, it's the same novel that you would read in an unsigned 20th edition.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PassingW, that's a very generous offer. I'm glad that you've found XMarks a useful resource.

As OC Richard says, this is more of a curiosity rather than something with scholarly value. As a draft it would be interesting to see the development of Stewart's thoughts but it would add little or nothing to our historical knowledge. The author made some huge assumptions which are not borne out by the evidence available to him then, let alone now. If we could secure it for £100 then I'd say yes, let's go for it, but $600 - no way.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much for the additional detail and as always, I'll leave things to the experts. I did note the seller is open to offers. Should the price come down to a desirable level, my offer stands. Thanks again for all the knowledge everyone continues to share. Cheers, Joel

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    The author made some huge assumptions which are not borne out by the evidence available to him then, let alone now.
    Have you written an article about the book? I would love to read it, if so.

Being way over here in California, before the internet my only knowledge could come from books like that.

Your articles are consistently fascinating and help peel back the curtain of misinformation.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Have you written an article about the book? I would love to read it, if so.

Being way over here in California, before the internet my only knowledge could come from books like that.

Your articles are consistently fascinating and help peel back the curtain of misinformation.
    No, not yet. As time allows, I'm currently working on an extended paper about his father's book, Old & Rare Scottish Tartans. It is more interesting historically as it contains a number of serious errors that are the source of common misunderstanding, for example; the purple and yellow colouration of the Culoden tartan.