X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Received my new USA Kilts 8yd

Well the day finally arrived yesterday! My 8yd 16 oz Henderson in the modern color set arrived from USA Kilts!

First impressions, quality stitching and materials, solid feeling straps and buckles, and a comfortable fit. Pictures below, I do apologize for the quality and impromptu-ness (word?) of the pictures we were rather in a hurry. Also in appearance, my new sporran as found on ebay by OC Richard. Please forgive the ankle socks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	38968

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	38969

All in all very happy with it and would recommend USA Kilts to anyone, prompt and very helpful customer service.

Doug
    Last edited by DougH; 6th July 20 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Updated to remove ignorant questions that may reflect poorly on the manufacturer.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice, both the kilt and the sporran!

I don't know about that pleat issue, I hope the kiltmakers here can provide information.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You give me hope, as I am waiting on an eight-yard kilt from USA Kilts, too, and they let me know the fabric should have arrived by last week.

I imagine giving a little steam to the front apron will take care of the curl. I don't see anything unusual as far as the pleats around the back or on your hip. Looks like my other eight-yarder does.
    Descended from Patiences of Avoch | McColls of Glasgow
    Member, Clan Mackenzie Society of the Americas | Clan Donald USA

"We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul." (Heb. 6:19)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been a busy week, but yes, the 'problems' do not appear to be problems.
    I received a call from Rocky at USA KILTS on Thursday I think it was and he not only answered my questions but gave me a free lesson in the history of kilt making and how different quirks appear and what to do about them.

revdpatience, it may be a bit of a wait for your kilt, it sounded like the COVID situation has been taking a toll on their production line. Though having said that I think my kilt was only a week later than the estimated schedule on their website (pre-covid) so I was very impressed. Having interacted both by email and phone with several people their I have no doubts however that you will receive a quality product as quickly as they can get it done.

Thanks again for the heads up on the sporran OC Richard, I will say however that the seller's emphatic "Not Rabbit Fur" is slightly in question at this point, but whatever it is, he did a wonderful job restoring it. I have received nothing but complements from those who have seen it.

Now I just have to pray that COVID doesn't derail the wedding...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks lovely! I have the exact same curl on my Wallace kilt, which is actually much too big, so I'm sure some steam will settle it out.

I can also attest to the reality of it being a long wait. I've been in conversation with a whole handful of UK mills and they've all been either closed or had transitioned to working on medical protective equipment and masks.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by revdpatience View Post
    You give me hope, as I am waiting on an eight-yard kilt from USA Kilts...
    Your name is Patience, after all

I too have a USA kilt on order, my first from them, and my first tweed kilt from anyone.

My patience is aided by the fact that all Scottish-themed events have been cancelled, and I have no bagpipe jobs on the books.

We need more patience in the world, I feel. I think the current situation is forcing us to be better at it.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm only able to be so patient because I knew from the start (in January) that my order would take quite a bit longer than normal.

My kilt and waistcoat will be in the MacColl Ancient tartan, which Lochcarron had to weave specially as it was not in stock. They hadn't had a chance to start weaving it before the coronavirus shut the mill down in March.

Lucas at USA Kilts has been keeping me apprised throughout the process and, as you say, the event at which I would have debuted my new kilt (the Wisconsin Highland Games on Labor Day weekend) has been canceled, anyway, so there's no real urgency.

I did do a kilted fundraiser for a nonprofit I support since their run/walk event was canceled -- that gave a local bagpiper at least one gig.

And I've got a Robert Mackie diced fawn Balmoral on its way. The "jocking" should occupy my time for a little bit, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Your name is Patience, after all

I too have a USA kilt on order, my first from them, and my first tweed kilt from anyone.

My patience is aided by the fact that all Scottish-themed events have been cancelled, and I have no bagpipe jobs on the books.

We need more patience in the world, I feel. I think the current situation is forcing us to be better at it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My kilt and waistcoat will be in the MacColl Ancient tartan, which Lochcarron had to weave specially as it was not in stock. They hadn't had a chance to start weaving it before the coronavirus shut the mill down in March.
    Wow, good luck with the progress of that.

We here in California have a half-century familiarity with that tartan due to it long being worn by local piping icon and Gold Medallist Jimmy McColl.

As you probably know The Clan MacColl is one of the most beautiful of the great pipe marches.

I've got a Robert Mackie diced fawn Balmoral on its way.
    Ooooh those are beautiful, perhaps the nicest of the traditional colours.

Are Mackie open and taking orders? What has the process been like?

Because I have a design in mind, an old one, but not one that would be in stock, a Balmoral done in this colour-scheme

As seen in this illustration from the 1930s

The lovely 2/4 March, The Clan MacColl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS7fKvM_o-0

I can only find this old photo of Jimmy McColl wearing modern colours, I'm pretty sure that in recent decades he wore ancient.

Last edited by OC Richard; 15th July 20 at 04:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As soon as I saw this style of Balmoral from Mackie, I knew it would eventually be the one I bought.

I finally ordered the bonnet from J. Higgins in April I think, and had to wait several weeks for it to be shipped from Scotland.

Thanks for the links regarding piper McColl. I’ll admit I knew of him, but am not terribly familiar. I’ll follow your leading down the rabbit-hole.

Ooooh those are beautiful, perhaps the nicest of the traditional colours.

Are Mackie open and taking orders? What has the process been like?

Because I have a design in mind, an old one, but not one that would be in stock, a Balmoral done in this colour-scheme.

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are Mackie open and taking orders?
    They are. I recently got a plain balmoral in rifle green from them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast