X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dress tartan based on Logan/Maclennan tartan

Hi serial kilters, ive made a dress tartan base on the Logan/Maclennan tartan that i want to make official. what are your options on it? thanks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EDBC5503-3B20-402F-8654-5EBF931CA264.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	38980 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	55B63F92-D50F-4C67-B5D6-27358F4D2780.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	38981
    Clan Logan Representative of Ontario
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)
    https://www.tiktok.com/@clan_logan_ontario

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No preferences, they are both beautiful
    South African military veteran. Great grandson of Captain William Henry Stevenson of the Highland Light Infantry, Scotland (1880's) and brother to Infantryman Peter Mark Schumann of the 2nd Transvaal Scottish, South Africa (1980's).

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm assuming that the graphic on the left is supposed to be the standard Logan and that the apparent black lines at the edge of the red stripes are a result of the graphic programme you used.

I'm not a fan of Dress tartans but if your clan wants one, and not having a chief, then you will need to get any 'official' design authorised by the Clan Society. With regard to the design, the single white overstripe over-balances the apearance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    I'm not a fan of Dress tartans but if your clan wants one, and not having a chief, then you will need to get any 'official' design authorised by the Clan Society. With regard to the design, the single white overstripe over-balances the apearance.
    Exactly! The broad, white overstripe throws the rest of the tartan into the background, whereas, it seems to me, in established "dress" tartans, the white forms the background to the other elements. Even in the dreadful "highland dancers'" tartans, the white forms a background to the (often garish) colours of the main elements.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would expect that perhaps the green would be replaced with white.
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I may offer one viewpoint on this.

There are several steps that may, or may not, be involved in Tartan design.

1) The Design

Anyone can, and may, create a design for a Tartan. There are on-line Tartan designer programs and some are free (Just be sure to read the fine print). Some people have created hundreds of designs.
    What makes a design a Tartan, and what makes a design pleasing may be two totally different things.

2) Listing a Design

In 2009 the Archives of Scotland established "The Scottish Register of Tartan". This is now the 'official' place to list a new design.
    Before the Register you would list your design on "The Scottish Tartans Authority".
    Listing a Design, while called Registering, does not make it 'official' but simply says that your design - a. Is not copy of an existing design and - b. It conforms to the naming conventions.
    For example - When I listed my "Victoria, City of Gardens" Tartan, I had to send in a copy of a document from the City Council of Victoria, BC authorizing the use of the name of the city. Otherwise I would have had to call it simply "City of Gardens".

3) Making a Design "Official"

Again, using the "Victoria, City of Gardens" Tartan as an example. I had to submit a copy from the Victoria City Council showing that they had adopted the design as the 'Official' Tartan of the city.
    In the case of a Clan Tartan you would usually seek the approval of the Clan Chief.
    In the case of a non Clan Tartan the head or governing body would be who would proclaim the design 'Official'. The "official" US State Tartans have been adopted by the State Legislatures.

4) Protecting a Design

After the Tartan is designed you may wish to protect your design by applying for a Copyright.

5) Have fabric woven in your Design

After all this, you may wish to have fabric woven in your design.
    You contact one of the weaving mills and commission a custom run of fabric.

Now, to your design.

It is a common misconception that a "Dress" Tartan is "Dressier" or more formal. While there are some Dress Tartans that are different from the non-dress versions, the most common use of the word is normally just the same Tartan where one of the background colors is replaced with white to create a lighter, more feminine design, "More like a ladies dress".

For example

The MacKenzie/Seaforth Tartan, Modern Colorway.

The MacKenzie/Seaforth Tartan, Modern Colorway, Dress Version.

The Black Watch Tartan, Modern Colorway.

The Black Watch Tartan, Modern Colorway, Dress Version.

The Royal Stewart Tartan, Modern Colorway.

The Royal Stewart Tartan, Modern Colorway, Dress Version.

What I hope you can see from these examples is that the "dress' versions are easily recognizable as the same Tartan. Just one of the background colors has been changed to white.
    Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 6th July 20 at 11:53 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a fan. The whole point of a tartan is recognition; a visual que. The Logan tartan, as it is, listed as "modren" was first recorded by James Logan in his work The Scottish Gael in 1831.

I personally see no reason to add another tartan so late in the mix. I'm not a fan of the current; albeit over half a century old, idea of colours, stripes, and patterns having any more meaning than, it is visually appealing.

Read some of my old Society newsletter articles and you'll see where I'm coming from.

https://electricscotland.com/familyt...ogan/index.htm

Frank
    Last edited by Highland Logan; 8th July 20 at 09:57 AM. Reason: added link
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "dress" design in the OP is an example of altering the sett by adding white stripes where there were none before.

Then with numerous Royal Stewart variants there's the thing of keeping the sett the same but changing the ground colour.

There's a third way one sees, and that is to neither add white stripes to the sett, nor change the ground-colour of the sett, but to keep the sett exactly as is but miniaturise it and place it in between wide white bands.

To show how the original MacDonald sett hasn't been altered, but rather inset into broad white areas, here's a crop of the above photo.

Last edited by OC Richard; 12th July 20 at 02:20 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    The "dress" design in the OP is an example of altering the sett by adding white stripes where there were none before.

Then with numerous Royal Stewart variants there's the thing of keeping the sett the same but changing the ground colour.

There's a third way one sees, and that is to neither add white stripes to the sett, nor change the ground-colour of the sett, but to keep the sett exactly as is but miniaturise it and place it in between wide white bands.
    The third version has the effect of making normally symmetrical setts, asymmetric which has been the cause of all sorts of problems over time.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion what they've done with Dress MacDonald has the advantage of not altering the sett, but has the disadvantage of being unattractive.

I think the asymmetry is a big part of why it seems ungainly to me.

To make it symmetrical they would have to reduce the sett even more, having either a green/blue/green or a blue/green/blue portion of the tartan appear within the white areas. Or I suppose a cropped version of either of those to maintain the blue and green balance.

I think the OP's approach gives a stronger tartan.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 12th July 20 at 02:27 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte