X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Change in direction: at least one of the four, maybe two, are wearing tartan ties with a kilt.

Who is the man in the brown jacket and waistcoat? Actually, who are they all?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another photo taken around the same time.

In both photos the man on the left is "wee Donald", Donald MacLeod, the famous piper and composer.

On the right, in the photo above, is John MacLellan, a piper of equal fame.

Both men had long army service but here appear in mufti.

In the other photo all the other men are familiar faces but I can't recall their names at the moment.

Yes the man in the mustard tweed jacket (in the other photo) appears to be wearing a matching tartan tie. One fellow has, I think, a Black Watch regimental stripe tie. The man on the right has what appears to be an ordinary civilian striped tie. I can't see what sort of tie wee Donald is wearing.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 26th July 20 at 02:31 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin Overlord View Post
    Hey y’all. I’m new to the site. And to kilts my wife got me one and I was like wth!? Well I’m a fan now. I have been wearing the kilt with a t shirt tucked in. Is that proper or should it be untucked?
    Greetings from Michigan!

I always tuck, even when I'm wearing a t-shirt and utility kilt. Just keeps everything neat. Welded in my utility kilt the other day - could probably do that with an untucked shirt to keep the sparks out, but instead I donned my usual long-sleeve cotton welding coat over the top and left the t-shirt tucked in.

If I could make a suggestion for your next kilt, check out the casual kilts from USA Kilts. They take no special care (other than I like to hang them to dry, but I believe they're machine dryable), they're very adjustable due to the velcro waistband, they're darned comfortable, and they're made from Teflon-coated P/V rather than acrylic or cotton, so they hold their pleats well and spills just kind of run off rather than soak in. Hard to beat for the price, especially if you're new to kilts.

If you need a tartan suggestion, check out Isle of Skye. Beautiful universal tartan that goes with just about any colors. A lot of us on here wear it. I quite often wear it with one of my khaki or dark blue Eddie Bauer button-up sun shirts, but it has so many colors in it that it's incredibly flexible.

Also, know where to measure for a kilt. Each kiltmaker generally has their own way of measuring, so follow their directions. But keep in mind that a kilt is usually worn (and, indeed, is in my opinion much more comfortable) at the anatomical waist instead of where you'd wear pants/trousers. The narrowest part of your torso, probably somewhere around where your bellybutton is but not necessarily right on it, and often right below your ribcage or possibly overlapping a few of the rear lower ribs. Mine anatomical waist is about an inch or so above my bellybutton, but that strongly depends on the person as well as their body shape. It seems like it'd be way too high to be comfortable, but it makes it so you carry all of the weight of the kilt and sporran on actual structure (upper crests of your hip bone) instead of over the top of muscle. So, it's not just a fashion choice, it really adds a lot to the function of a kilt.

Oh, and I'm a younger ham as well - don't like to post my call sign here because I try to keep a degree of privacy in my life by keeping my internet profiles somewhat anonymous, and as you know ham radio is anything but. Main thing I use it for is the local SkyWarn weather nets, although 20m is pretty fun. There's a group on the forum for us hams:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/g...hp?groupid=111

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12