X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cowdens Sept of Colquhoun/MacDougal?

Good morning all. While I'm Campbell of Cawdor through my male line I've been doing some reading as my maternal grandmother was a Cowden. I ran across an old website, which I realize may or may not be legitimate, citing Robert Bain's The Clans and Tartans of Scotland that Cowdens were septs of Colquhoun and MacDougal. I've also seen discussion in more than one place that Cowdens traditionally wore the Jacobite tartan from the Edinburgh area.

Our history on that branch of the family is pretty limited, and while I'll mostly be wearing the tartan that comes with my own last name it would be nice to wear a tartan tie or scarf or the like on occasion in memory of my Grandmother. To do that properly of course I'd need to wear the correct one. If anybody has good information on this I'd welcome the chance to learn a bit more.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While Cowan is listed among the families associated with Clan MacDougall, Cowden is not (https://macdougall.org/2014/02/16/clan-names/), though it could be down to a variation in spelling.

I’m sure that if you’re inclined to consider yourself a MacDougall, they’d be happy to have you.

The MacDougalls, like many others, had their issues with the Campbells (see Battle of the Red Ford, 1294).

While I have many MacDougall ancestors, there are Colquhouns I hold in high regard, so you’re unlikely to go far wrong either way, IMHO. 😊

Without additional information about the location of your forebears, it may come down to your preference in tartans... do you prefer red (MacDougall) or blue/green (Colquhoun)?

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information Shaun! My Campbell ancestors seemed to have a talent for aggravating almost everybody in Britain; thankfully folks have mostly been willing to forgive us over the course of a few hundred years

It's a hard call between the tartans as both are so nicely done, although the MacDougal would look so nice at Christmas!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNScotsman View Post

It's a hard call between the tartans as both are so nicely done, although the MacDougal would look so nice at Christmas!
    I have a kilt in the Marton Mills MacDougall ancient tartan, which is nice enough, but I much prefer the Heritage MacDougall or Dalriada District tartans which X-Marker figheadair was instrumental in reviving and making commercially available. You can see them here: https://www.dunollie.org/shop

See http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...revived-68592/ for more information.

That said, the Colquhon tartan is handsome as well, so perhaps one of each, since we're only talking scarves and not kilts!

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The surname Cowden, like many names, could have come from one of many original sources. It could be a Scottish name, as a variant of Cowan and others, or it could be an English name. Chasing down the genealogy would be the most accurate way to determine from which one your grandmother derived it. To my knowledge, Clan Colquhoun does not list Cowden as an official sept/associated name. But given the many, many variants of names that have evolved over the centuries, this doesn't necessarily mean anything. If you were to wear the Colquhoun tartan based on a Cowden connexion, I doubt anyone would bat an eyelash over it, considering Cowan is a fairly prominent name in the clan and Cowden is so similar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply Tobus. Genealogy does get tough as you go back and many of my ancestors seemed much more concerned with keeping food on the table rather than carefully documenting things. Clan Colquhoun has actually replied to an inquiry I sent and were very quick to welcome me so I suppose I'll need to at least pick up a tie in the right tartan to honor the connection. It's definitely a nice way to honor the memory and heritage of my grandmother.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNScotsman View Post
    Clan Colquhoun has actually replied to an inquiry I sent and were very quick to welcome me...
    Well in that case, welcome aboard!

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post: