X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Farquharson tartan/pleats help

I am about to make a kilt in Farquharson tartan and would love to see some photos of the pleats if anyone has a kilt in this tartan?

I realise that all the kilts I have made with this huge sett with uneven repeat have been to stripe and I am a bit stumped - it is for a 13 year old and the pleats will be so small that I will struggle to get all the elements in cleanly. I am definitely having a brain fade moment!

I can substitute but I would be keen to see how others have been pleated before I make a final decision please?!

Thanks in advance

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the Farquarson Tartan has a base of Black Watch with red and yellow overcheck - may I ask what the Sett size is of the fabric you have?

And may I also ask what size pleat reveal you would like to go for?
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    As the Farquarson Tartan has a base of Black Watch with red and yellow overcheck - may I ask what the Sett size is of the fabric you have?

And may I also ask what size pleat reveal you would like to go for?
    The sett size is 30cm and it's an asymmetrical tartan. Not sure what you mean about pleat reveal? Doesn't that depend on how many pleats there are? I would prefer to not go below 24 pleats but I can only get 21 out of this by back pleating when marking out.

It is a fairly small kilt for a teenager so the pleated area at the seat will measure 45cm with 35cm at the waist. (17.75" Seat and 13.75" waist)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You seem to have given yourself a difficult task pleating to the set - I can only suggest cheating wherever possible so as to give an impression of the set but at smaller intervals than the actual repeat.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    I can only suggest cheating wherever possible so as to give an impression of the set but at smaller intervals than the actual repeat.

Anne the Pleater
    Yes that is my intention but I just wondered if anyone had any other suggestions. I can achieve 21 pleats by back pleating but will probably substitute (what you call cheating lol) to get more.

My customer wants it pleated to sett so I will do my best to give them what they want.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if you might be able to get advice from someone who makes dancers' kilts. They tend to be pleated to the sett, and are also made for some pretty small kids.
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katia View Post
    I wonder if you might be able to get advice from someone who makes dancers' kilts. They tend to be pleated to the sett, and are also made for some pretty small kids.
    Haha I make dancers kilts too......I think I have it sussed though, just having a brain fade moment ;-) I rarely pleat to stripe but the last 12 kilts I have made have been for a pipe band and all pleated to stripe so I just needed to get that out of my head :-)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what you mean about pleat reveal?
    Pleat reveal refers to that portion of the pleat that is exposed. The part that you see.

This is to separate that part of the pleat from the "Pleat depth" which you do not see.

The average pleat reveal on a kilt - AKA TAoK - is between 5/8 inch and 7/8 inch.

With a hip circumference of 17.17 inches (which is amazingly tiny) you would probably have between 20 and 24 pleats.
    If the reveal were 1 inch you would have 18 pleats.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    Pleat reveal refers to that portion of the pleat that is exposed. The part that you see.

This is to separate that part of the pleat from the "Pleat depth" which you do not see.

The average pleat reveal on a kilt - AKA TAoK - is between 5/8 inch and 7/8 inch.

With a hip circumference of 17.17 inches (which is amazingly tiny) you would probably have between 20 and 24 pleats.
    If the reveal were 1 inch you would have 18 pleats.
    I don't know what AKA TAoK means and we obviously have different terms for things as far as making kilts goes....but there isn't really an average size for a pleat. That is dependant on the size of the wearer and how many pleats the sett size allows. I have just made Mackenzie kilts for a pipe band with about 31 pleats on each - the size of those pleats varies depending on the size of the person wearing it.

The kilt is for a 13 year old boy so yes it is small - although not the smallest I have made.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I forgot that you are Keith School trained.

AKA TAoK means In Accordance With "The Art of Kiltmaking".

This is a bit different as it is the method taught at Gordon & Son's where Elsie Stuehmeyer began her 5 year apprenticeship in 1949.
    Elsie taught kiltmaking all over the world but sadly is now retired.

But Barb Tewksbury took Elsie's course. Twice. And then wrote "The Art of Kiltmaking".

Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast