X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jthk View Post
    Hey there,

My comments are somewhat related to your post. Summer last, I hiked up the Cobbler in Arrochar with some friends. It was warm-ish and the weather ranged from fine mist to outright downpours. I hiked in my favourite Bedrock sandals (no problems there) and an older-school cotton Survival. A merino wool T-shirt on top. The relevant message to your post is about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up to the Cobbler, I realised my mistake: the cotton Survival was 100% soaked and while I was hiking upwards, my body heat did its job and kept me moderately warm. But when I stopped at the top to eat and then while walking ALL THE WAY DOWN, it was horrific. The wet cotton obviously didn't dry out, it kept all the water, and I was starting to get chilled. By the time I returned to "base camp", I stripped down and, shivering in moderately warm weather, put on other clothes. My success was the merino wool top layers I had been wearing. Even though that original T-shirt was soaked, I was warm enough. I will never hike in a cotton kilt again -- perhaps a polyviscose one from Rocky and Co., but whenever there's a chance of being stuck in the rain, I'll always go wool.

(I had a decent rain jacket at the beginning but it was warm enough that I was getting wet from my own sweat. I removed it and I then got wet from the rain -- which I preferred!)

Good luck on your adventure!
    Jonathan
    This is a very useful anecdote I will have to remember. I have not really gotten my cotton utility kilt wet yet. Clearly I need to avoid that.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm happy that my however-temporary-suffering will be useful. Perhaps others experiences will differ but that's mine. Ugh.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganKyle View Post
    This is a very useful anecdote I will have to remember. I have not really gotten my cotton utility kilt wet yet. Clearly I need to avoid that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I'm thinking since it's gonna be over 100 F the whole trip maybe a little wet cold would be a good thing....
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12