X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sing a lot of Bach and most of it would not translate to the pipes. The Baroque composers wrote their choral works to imitate string parts. Sawing a fiddle in half all of the time does not work on the pipes.

You need good, old fashioned Presbyterian and Wesleyan stuff that was meant to be sung by congregations.
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when you say

you've piped at LDS services were you talking about sacriment. I only ask because what the bishop said seems confusing to a life long member. Granted individual bishops allow or ban on their own particular whims (like ours who banned kilt wearing after the first time my sons wore theirs to church) but by and large everybody marches in lock step. Maybe the offical position has changed but growing up only voice, organ, piano or string instruments were allowed. Wind, reed and particularly brass were rarely allowed so it is amazing to me they allowed a bag pipe in. I'd have loved that.
    He said only LDS approved hymns were allowed which also has been contrary to my experience. You couldn't sing religious music that was based on things like the Mother Mary or hymns which strayed to close to a protestants version of saved by Grace (the change from the old blue hymnal to the new green removed alot of my favorites) or other doctrines outside the LDS church canon but I rarely sang hymns even the mormon ones. I did classical pieces or religious songs from the old school (I Walked Today Where Jesus Walked, Holy City era) I even sang Invictus a few times (by Bruno Huhn) which while I still particularly like it the words seem a little outside of the humble follower's creed. (I still use it in warm-ups and vocal work and it's one of my dog grizzly's favorite pieces. He howls up a storm throughout it.)
    Your prodject seems like a great idea

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For sure it could have been a thing with that particular Bishop. He allowed the pipes as long as I stuck to LDS hymns. I'll take that bargain any day!

I can understand how the thing of Clergy not allowing pipes in their buildings would come about: serious competition pipers have their pipes set up to be as loud as possible. These pipers don't realise that they're doing other pipers harm by giving the public the impression that the pipes are necessarily that way.

I regularly find myself in the position of having to undo the damage those pipers do by explaining to wedding co-ordinators, funeral directors, and clergy that the pipes can be played at a much lower volume. If they want REALLY quiet pipes I can play my smallpipes. I've done that quite a few times over the years.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 14th October 20 at 07:17 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard.....thanks for replying to my pm’s & for the Hymn -A-Day info. I’ve popped on & off the forum, recently, for only a few minutes at a time. To pm you. I completely missed this thread. Our area has been a bit crazy with the close wildfires, helping my wife’s brother with a very slightly toasted house, landlord that got burned out, & new property owners. As I post this......waiting, at any moment, for PG&E to shut the power off (moderate heat, heavy winds expected in the next few
    hours). Until then, the hymns are playing along.
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! I have family in Santa Rosa and in Lake County and both have been impacted repeatedly by fires in recent years.

My niece has been evacuated twice, so far so good concerning her house.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Grump is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a very difficult job you have taken on. What sounds good to one ear is not so good to another. I only have four Hymns that I play having not paid a great deal of attention to this type of pipe music . Thank you for your work.

John
    Piping Is Life!....The rest doesn't matter.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!

I've posted pretty much all the hymn-tunes I have arranged that fit decently on the ordinary Highland pipe scale.

There are tons of others that don't.

I'm thinking about posting those, but I'll have to play them on the uilleann pipes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My curiosity has got the best of me and I wonder if you might answer a question? The tune Star of County Down is that melody ever used with the words of a hymn?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grump View Post
    My curiosity has got the best of me and I wonder if you might answer a question? The tune Star of County Down is that melody ever used with the words of a hymn?
    The answer is "yes". Mr Wesley's "Come Let Us Use the Grace Divine" is sometimes set to this tune.

See https://hymnary.org/text/come_let_us...e_grace_divine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. My wife and both thought we might have heard this as a hymn. Sometimes it is difficult to recognize a tune played on the chanter when you have only ever heard it played on an organ.
    John

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast