X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grump View Post
    Thank you. My wife and both thought we might have heard this as a hymn. Sometimes it is difficult to recognize a tune played on the chanter when you have only ever heard it played on an organ.
    John
    Along those lines, I have read that many years ago, in small and poor chapels and churches in Ireland that could not afford an organ that sometimes they would hire an uilleann piper to play for the services. I think I remember seeing a picture of an old set of uilleann pipes that had a full set of regulators but no drones. There was only the chanter and regulators. It was said that this set of pipes was used to play in a church.

While a good set of uilleann pipes is not cheap, it is WELL below the price of even a modest organ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grump View Post
    My curiosity has got the best of me and I wonder if you might answer a question? The tune Star of County Down is that melody ever used with the words of a hymn?
    In the Mormon hymn book it is called "If you could Hie to Kolob" They also call the tune "Dives and Lazarus"

Grump is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologize to Richard for the diversion although this tune "Star of the County Down" is definitely used as the melody for a hymn. After further questioning and a little searching Voices hymnary No. 625 " I Feel the Winds of God Today". Thank you to those who assisted me . I'll try to keep my questions in check henceforth.
    Piping Is Life!....The rest doesn't matter.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123