X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Threaded View

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bagpipe Hymn a Day

Many years ago I did a deep dive into Hymnody.

I collected as many Hymnals from as many denominations as I could.

Then in my Rain-Man-like way I started going through the indexes and seeing which Hymn tunes were the most common, the most widespread across the most denominations.

I ranked these Hymn tunes in order of commonness and began arranging them for the Highland bagpipes.

Then after I had a ranked list of the Hymn tunes I began gathering all the various Hymns which used these tunes.

For those that don't know, with the older traditional Hymns the Hymns (texts) and the tunes floated somewhat independently. For example the Hymn Amazing Grace was written as a text only, like a poem, and was entirely tuneless. Later, to sing it, people paired Amazing Grace with a number of traditional Hymn tunes. It so happens that one of those tunes, NEW BRITAIN, has in the 20th century become the most popular. But it wasn't always so.

(It's customary to write tune names in all capital letters, I don't know why.)

I was thinking about publishing my collection but instead I'm putting the whole thing up on Youtube as "A Bagpipe Hymn A Day". I'm presenting them in the order of commonness.

Here's Day One, HYFRYDOL, the most widespread Hymn tune. I don't think I've come across a single Hymnal that doesn't have that tune.

Not that the various denominations sing the same Hymn to it! Far from it: I've come across 13 different Hymns that give HYFRYDOL as the tune, across my various Hymnals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx4D5KlCQEM&t=85s

I give the titles of all 13 Hymns in the comments, and ask people who have other Hymns using HYFRYDOL in their own Hymnals to add those in the comments.

I've been plugging along, today I recorded the 6th and 7th tunes, which will go up over the next couple days.

These videos aren't monetized. I'm hoping that pipers might gain some benefit from them.

In tandem with the Youtube videos I created a Facebook page Bagpipe Hymn A Day where I post the videos and also the sheet music to each tune.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 25th July 20 at 04:21 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 10 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: