X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Kilt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Kilt

I hope I post this at the right place. I bought my first kilt a couple of months ago in a charity shop in Glasgow. And I love it. It fit so perfect. I only know it's wool and heavy. So, don't know if it is 6 yards or 8. And because I just started to wear kilts, don't really know so much about it. Last week I ordered my second one. An 8 yard 100% wool kilt in the Spirit of Scotland tartan. But there's something strange. It fits great. But the pleats are starting / ending on my legs. also my apron is falling inside between my legs. The seller said it's 100 % wool and I could only dry clean it. But at the label in the kilt is written that I can also wash it in the machine at 40 degrees. When I lay both kilts on top of each other then my new kilt is much, much longer then the old one. And it's the same size. I wrote an mail to the seller already. But I thought to ask some advise here first. Maybe one of you knows what I do wrong. Thanks in advance for your help / advice.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You did nothing wrong in buying another kilt. Perhaps the only thing you did "wrong" was not checking with the rabble first and getting a wee smidge of knowledge. I'll let others answer you questions. Welcome.
    Insperata Floruit! - Flourished Unexpectedly!

KABOOM; Kilted Christians; Kilted In Carolina; Matt Newsome Kilt Owners Group; R Kilts are Awesome; SEKS - The Great Southeastern Kilt Society; The Order of the Dandelion

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Balaamsass51 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I'm a member of this forum, I try to read as much as possible. But because of my job, I don't have that much time. Unfortunately. After being on the road for 6 months, I bought the kilt just before I went home for my time off. And I wanted to surprise my wife also because I know she loves the tartan. A good thing is, I can send the kilt back to the seller, when there was something wrong with it or I didn't like the kilt. I hope that I get an answer from the seller tomorrow, otherwise I will send it back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't answer for wool kilt care, since mine are all synthetics (can't wear wool - I get red itchy painful rashes).

But for length, are you wearing it at your pants waist or your anatomical waist? I ask because (as is currently being discussed here - http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...rn-kilt-96631/) a "standard" length kilt is far too short for me to wear at my anatomical waist, and I find that kilts are much more comfortable worn there. All of the weight is carried on top of actual structure instead of over the top of muscle.

Long and short of it: I'm wondering if maybe you've got one that's intended to be worn low and one that's intended to be worn higher.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HenkSusanneSafiyya View Post
    The seller said it's 100 % wool and I could only dry clean it. But at the label in the kilt is written that I can also wash it in the machine at 40 degrees.
    I usually see that language (machine wash at 40 degrees max) for items that are made from polyviscose. An example can be seen here in the description of Kinloch Anderson's PV face masks.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganKyle View Post
    a "standard" length kilt is far too short for me to wear at my anatomical waist, and I find that kilts are much more comfortable worn there.
    There isn't a thing as a standard length kilt.....no more than there is such a thing as a standard height kilt wearer

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kiltsnquilts For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HenkSusanneSafiyya View Post
    I hope I post this at the right place. I bought my first kilt a couple of months ago in a charity shop in Glasgow. And I love it. It fit so perfect. I only know it's wool and heavy. So, don't know if it is 6 yards or 8. And because I just started to wear kilts, don't really know so much about it. Last week I ordered my second one. An 8 yard 100% wool kilt in the Spirit of Scotland tartan. But there's something strange. It fits great. But the pleats are starting / ending on my legs. also my apron is falling inside between my legs. The seller said it's 100 % wool and I could only dry clean it. But at the label in the kilt is written that I can also wash it in the machine at 40 degrees. When I lay both kilts on top of each other then my new kilt is much, much longer then the old one. And it's the same size. I wrote an mail to the seller already. But I thought to ask some advise here first. Maybe one of you knows what I do wrong. Thanks in advance for your help / advice.
    If your kilt is wool I wouldn't attempt to machine wash it to be honest. It could shrink from the agitation combined with the heat - even at a low temperature - and you will also lose the pressed pleats.

When you say the pleats are starting and ending on your legs do you mean the pleated area doesn't start and finish at your body's 'side seam'? (for want of a better description haha)

Did you measure the old one to ensure the new one would be the same length and measurements?

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kiltsnquilts For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never washed or dry cleaned any of my kilts. ...not true, I did once wash one of my pv kilts, 8 or 9 years ago. After wearing simply hang up properly to air out. If pleats get wrinkled I use a hand steamer. If you have a spill, carefully sponge off gently, and repeat as necessary. Wear underwear.....
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiltsnquilts View Post
    There isn't a thing as a standard length kilt.....no more than there is such a thing as a standard height kilt wearer
    Very true. However, that's what it's called on the Sport Kilt site is "Standard Length", and for someone with no experience with kilts combined with kilt measuring instructions from various kiltmakers that assume you know where your anatomical waist is, and it can be very easy to assume that "Standard Length" is probably correct when it's actually far from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    I have never washed or dry cleaned any of my kilts. ...not true, I did once wash one of my pv kilts, 8 or 9 years ago. After wearing simply hang up properly to air out. If pleats get wrinkled I use a hand steamer. If you have a spill, carefully sponge off gently, and repeat as necessary. Wear underwear.....
    I wash my kilts quite regularly. The P/V USA Kilts hold their pleats very well, the Sport Kilts soften a bit and I generally re-crease the pleats to reinforce them while they're still wet, and my cotton DNKE Highlander utility kilt just gets wrinkled unless I re-pleat it, despite having the pleats sewn in. All of them get washed cold and hung on kilt hangers to dry. The P/V ones are the easiest to wash - the pleats just come out darn near perfect with almost no work. But, again, I can't speak for wool.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiltsnquilts View Post
    When you say the pleats are starting and ending on your legs do you mean the pleated area doesn't start and finish at your body's 'side seam'? (for want of a better description haha)
    I read it as, the pleats are stitched down to the thighs? Which would suggest to me that OP is wearing the kilt too low.
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast