X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISO old photograghs: Alec MacMillan and G.S. McLennan

I hope this is the correct place to post this request.
    I am in search of a couple of photographs. The first is of Alec MacMillan, Colonsay, who won the Silver Star around 1900 and contributed to Thomason's CEOL MOR. I have never found a photograph of him. He taught my teacher, Colin MacRae, and even Colin didn't have a photograph. I suspect there isn't one, because some Highlanders in those days didn't want their photograph taken.
    The other photograph I have seen somewhere but haven't been able to track it down in a book or on the web. It's a photograph of G.S. McLennan standing with his uncle. IIRC his uncle was John Stewart of the famous traveling family, the Stewarts of Blairgowrie. John is wearing the uniform of a Black Watch piper that is too large for him.
    If you can help me track these down I would very much appreciate it.
    thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    about second photo: There's a photo of G.S. McLennan and his uncle together in Vol II of "the Gordon Highlanders pipe music collection".
    so if somebody has this book, please share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scan2020-08-05

I hope this works I scanned the photo from the Gordon's book II ! I have no idea how to upload a scan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scan2020-08-05_110848.jpg

See if this works instead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's it. Thanks for pointing it out. I was convinced it was in one of my books, but I looked all over without success. I have both volumes of the Gordon's collection, so that must have been where I saw it in the first place. I have often wondered how much of an influence John Stewart had on G.S. The Stewarts were travelers. In doing research on different pipers who emigrated to the PNW I found a lot of them being described as "tinkers" or "common" pipers. I suspect a lot of great piping was dismissed as being made by "tinkers" and "common" pipers. None of it was recorded either on paper or on shellac, but I've always wondered if the great leap that came along with G.S. might have something to do with his "tinker" relatives. Thanks again.