X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get the pewter balls for the tassels from the company called ClanArt on etsy. I can’t seem to post the link.
    “The convents which the fathers had destroyed...the sons, rebuilt…”
    —Hereward the Wake, ‘Of the Fens’

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just remembered a local band that has sporrans maybe along the lines of what you are planning.

Their sporrans, which they've been wearing for 20 years at least, were originally ordered from W Scott & Son Edinburgh.

They're a hybrid style, being plain black leather Day sporrans but with the chrome chain and ball fur tassels from Evening sporrans.

The fur is white pony or bovine, not sure, but not seal due to that being illegal to import to the USA.

(Be aware that if you go with chain tassels you'll have to have a stock of replacements that you bring with you to every band event, and be prepared to put new ones on at a moment's notice. Either that or have the band perform with missing tassels!)

Here they are (at The Worlds)

Last edited by OC Richard; 8th August 20 at 05:35 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it has to be done right and to my mind to be done right means that you are completely comfortable wearing the kilt. I say that as what you propose is a little different than the norm. Anytime something is different than the norm it's best if the person deviating from the accepted look has the confidence to pull it off. This is the only sporran I have with different tassel colours. I think it take a certain type of confidence that only comes from wearing the kilt on a regular basis for a while to attempt this look.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good precedent

Quote Originally Posted by Ali View Post
    Hello all, I am in the process of putting together some potential semi-formal sporrans for our band (we are running a bit short of them so the pipers will need to move to a new sort, then the drummers eventually).
    I made a mockup of (very) black deer suede, black, smooth, shiny kangaroo hide, and white upholstery leather tassels. Apart from looking “a bit dainty” it was well received. Needs to be a fraction bigger and I shall double the leather for added weight, and have bulkier chains (3x crossed tassels).
    Am more likely to use white/speckled b&w hair-on cow hide for the final tassels, but is this a fashion faux pas? I know that spare tassels are sold for sporrans, and there are not any real hard and fast rules about colour matching as far as I can tell, but we don’t want to look silly.....
    There's no reason not to utilize a different colour tassel. Some of the earliest 18th C. Sporrans were of deerskin with red cords and tassels and many current dress sporrans have different coloured tassels from that of the sporran body. Go for it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12