X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful to hear these Games are going to be held!

Here in California public gatherings of any size are still banned state-wide.

Hence Californians travelling outwith the state to attend Games in nearby states.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Patriot View Post
    Redstone Highland Games Oct 16 & 17 at Sandstone Park, St. George Utah...already have reservations...if any of you go there and see me, come up and say "Hoots Mon!"
    Thanks for the heads-up, I've not heard of those games. Very tempting! St George being much closer than Moab for us. (I looked, five hours closer.)

If I'm still on furlough from work at that time I'll probably be joining you there!

I did my DNA from two places and zero NA, disappointing and a bit surprising due to a large percentage of West Virginians, especially the earliest settlers (18th century, like my family) having Cherokee blood.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 26th August 20 at 08:26 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Armadale Gathering now cancelled.

This event is now cancelled (just the day after I posted it was proceeding). That's 20,000 people with not much to do on that day, except maybe iron pleats.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My one COVID 2020 Highland Games hope has been mostly dashed, the Moab Utah Games, coming up in a few weeks.

The Games were fairly small already, but being as everything in California is cancelled I was going to make the long drive and visit them for my first time. That would give me two Games in 2020, the Queen Mary Games back in February and Moab in November.

But the Highland Dancing competition was cancelled, and just the other day I found out the solo piping and drumming and Pipe Band competitions were all cancelled too.

As a piper, the thing I most enjoy at Games is the solo piping and Pipe Band competitions. If a Games is so small as to not have these I have little interest.

So sorry to say I've cancelled my hotel reservations and Moab will be just another thing that I'll put off until some unknown time in the future.

BTW my drive mileage to Moab (from Tustin) is almost identical to that from Portsmouth to John O'Groats. (I think my drive time is faster because I don't have road works issues.)

I know people in the UK will go that distance to attend a Games, because at Bridge Of Allan there was a band which had made the trip from Jersey!
    Last edited by OC Richard; 17th October 20 at 05:54 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tachartas spreader super

Is that how to say it in Gaelic?
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or in Scots

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men gang aft a-gley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heard a few weeks ago that the concessionaire for the Queen Mary has filed for bankruptcy, so not sure when (or if) we'll see highland games there any time soon.

OC Rich, there are games in LV, so no need to drive to Moab, although it is beautiful out there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Texas Scottish Festival is still on (in Decatur the first weekend in May). The other Springtime events I attend are going virtual (North Texas Irish Festival), have been rescheduled for the Fall (Sherman Celtic Festival), or canceled (San Antonio Highland Games).

We’ll see what happens with the Fall events (Houston Highland Games in September, Kerr County Celtic Festival in October, and the Salado Clan Gathering in November).

I suspect that the Fall events will take place, but who knows...

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salado Gathering and Highland Games

The games are scheduled to be live on November 12-14 of this year. Clan sign up forms are supposed to be in the mail, if you did not receive them contact Liz Patronella or the Museum in Salado.

Jack

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to GrymJack For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two day event in April 17 and 18th, Ormond Beach, (near Daytona), Florida.

http://ormondbeachcelticfestival.com/index.html

Still could be cancelled based on COVID-19 spiking...but looks good so far.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast