X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello to everyone. I just made my first kilt and you all helped

Hi. I’m living in the Mexican pacific city/town of Puerto Escondido and after years of using a sarong (a Southeast Asia lower body wrap for men) after surf sessions I decided to make a kilt. A surf-kilt. I have Scottish blood and it just feels right.
    I’m really happy with the results. I used Dacron material in plaid. The buckles are made from plastic side release buckles.
    It’s a really cool looking classic style kilt (the top is by the navel and not low on the hips like a UT kilt.
    I had a local seamstress do the sewing (I did the pleating) and due to the local economy, her labor cost is very affordable.
    I made a couple of belts out of car seatbelt webbing and stainless steel O-rings, but ideally I think a 2” heavy duty side buckle with the car seatbelt webbing would work best and be more apropo to the whole surfing theme. Unfortunately I couldn’t find that supply locally. I’ll try to get someone to bring it from the US

The idea is to make a kilt to use to take off your board shorts (surf swim trunks) in public and then to air dry and stay cool, BE cool 😎 and dry.

I saw the “sporty kilt” online and didn’t like the look (skirty, basically). My build is pub-worthy, at least where I’m from (dunno in Scotland or where experienced kilt-wearers tread, although I think I’d get respect for having made it myself).

I’ve got no idea as to the longevity of the material in this weather and use context (so far no pilling 👍) but I think it’ll work out. I’m sure that it wouldn’t hold a candela to authentic tartan or even the poly viscose I’ve read about, but for the affordable cost, I can’t complain.

I found a company online that makes a polyester ripstop cloth in a plaid which will be my ideal project. They are out of stock so I’ll need to wait until they restock.

I’ve got some questions regarding the correct placement of the buckles, I did my best after spending hours analyzing images, videos and tutorials online.

I already have some ideas to improve on the surf-beach kilt theme (putting a terry cloth insert in the back from the top to almost the hem, with Velcro backing... comfy to sit on, only need to dry or wash that part.

Tomorrow I’m planning on finding something I can use as a sporran: either something I can adapt or find someone to make me a sporran out of synthetic materials that can handle the salt water conditions.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7945D7D9-1963-4692-80AE-CD893055A4F3.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	39105Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3675C8E6-08E5-4F2E-8FCC-30E96D80AD49.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	39107Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7E9A1D00-7F1C-4DE4-BEE5-26DBD8013DBF.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	39108
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1C128F31-8147-4814-9D2B-EA164CE11F42.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	39103
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70BBD31D-37F0-4315-A91F-B70A22AC2F40.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	39104Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7945D7D9-1963-4692-80AE-CD893055A4F3.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	39105Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E2DB9F71-4E2E-4B1D-9966-D6D737A52584.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	39106

I want to thank the creator of the tutorial pdf (I’m writing this on my phone and don’t have access to the pdf right now, so I don’t remember your name!). Thanks for the hard work! It made it less scary.

I’ll let you all know how the sporran creation goes.

Let me know if you ever want to come to Mexico, I can make recommendations for many places here. And please give me feedback, let me know what you think!

2. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Performxl For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t know how to rotate the photos that are on their side or upside down. Apologies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job adapting to local materials and availability. That's pretty cool!

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the "Great Rabble"!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from a Scotsman living in middle England. I'm not kilted today - wearing shorts during a (brief) spell of hot weather. Congratulations on your work - most impressive.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kiltedjohn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome form Silver Spring, Maryland!

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Crazy Dave For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I managed to get two to turn around, but the third one was not going to cooperate.
    Good job. I have been considering the two rings as a buckle option, though on a smaller scale - it looks good. You might be pulling the straps too tight, or not allowing enough ease in the 6 inches or so below the waist. That is what causes the horizontal creasing. The garment is under strain and lifts up to reduce it. A bit more space inside, so it flows over the body without compression is what it needs.

Anne the Pleater
    Last edited by Pleater; 11th August 20 at 10:28 PM.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome from Southern California.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomak For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    I managed to get two to turn around, but the third one was not going to cooperate.
    Good job. I have been considering the two rings as a buckle option, though on a smaller scale - it looks good. You might be pulling the straps too tight, or not allowing enough ease in the 6 inches or so below the waist. That is what causes the horizontal creasing. The garment is under strain and lifts up to reduce it. A bit more space inside, so it flows over the body without compression is what it needs.

Anne the Pleater
    I made a different two ring belt (I had found some red car seatbelt webbing) and used smaller rings. It also works well. I think that "D" rings would also work very well.
    To clarify your suggestion: the strap on the back apron should be looser, correcto?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would be advisable to loosen the strap on the under apron, as it is low down it puts strain on the fabric, which is not reinforced, and tightness there causes the kilt to ride up.
    I usually strengthen and put the closures at the waist - the narrowest point, and either make the apron with a strap which goes to a buckle at the appropriate point on the right side (when worn) or hold the free edge of the under apron fast to the inside of the kilt.
    This then requires a support for whichever edge is free, just to hold it in place.

I consider kilts and kimonos correct when closed on the right as it was how I first came across them.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast