X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Measuring Question

Up until the lock-downs, etc, I had, apart from only one time, always measured people for their kilts. With the social distancing, I would have to have them provide the measurements to get started again. I guess my question is this: How often have you had issues with the measurements provided by customers/clients?

I had problems with the guy who sent his measurements. Luckily I knew him and saw that there was no way what he sent was correct. We Skyped and I talked his wife through the process so all was well. Had I not known him and we didn't Skype, the kilt would have been way too short and would have fallen off.

Any information you can share will be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many times have I had potential issues? Honestly, literally ALL THE TIME. I send clear, very specific measuring instructions, and I always follow up with questions about how the person actually took the measurements. You would not believe the number of times that I ask, did you measure over a shirt? No I measured over my bare skin. Which method did you use to measure the length? Well, I didn't - I looked at the label in a kilt I have that really fits well. And on and on and on.....

I deliberately said "potential issues" in the first line above, because I never, ever take the measurements that someone sends me at face value. I apologize profusely and then go on to pick away at them until I find out what they've actually done to take the measurements, and we work around after several emails to what I actually need so that I'm confident that the kilt will actually fit. I also commonly Skype or Facetime with someone to watch them take the measurements and offer advice along the way.

I also ask for 2 pics with a smart phone - one from the front and one from the side with the person wearing a kilt he already owns, or, if he doesn't have one, a pair of trousers with a shirt tucked in. That helps a huge amount.

If you want more suggestions, Arnot, just holler!
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Barb T For This Useful Post:

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb T View Post
    How many times have I had potential issues? Honestly, literally ALL THE TIME. I send clear, very specific measuring instructions, and I always follow up with questions about how the person actually took the measurements. You would not believe the number of times that I ask, did you measure over a shirt? No I measured over my bare skin. Which method did you use to measure the length? Well, I didn't - I looked at the label in a kilt I have that really fits well. And on and on and on.....

I deliberately said "potential issues" in the first line above, because I never, ever take the measurements that someone sends me at face value. I apologize profusely and then go on to pick away at them until I find out what they've actually done to take the measurements, and we work around after several emails to what I actually need so that I'm confident that the kilt will actually fit. I also commonly Skype or Facetime with someone to watch them take the measurements and offer advice along the way.

I also ask for 2 pics with a smart phone - one from the front and one from the side with the person wearing a kilt he already owns, or, if he doesn't have one, a pair of trousers with a shirt tucked in. That helps a huge amount.

If you want more suggestions, Arnot, just holler!
    Many thanks for your assistance, Barb. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. I will likely use your methods when possible.