X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb T View Post

so that you can avoid making the kilt and then discovering the lawn chair...

To be fair, that one more says "beach towel" to me. (What tartan is that?)
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our legacy beach towels trend more toward The Little Mermaid or volcanoes or puffins....with the occasional shark towel...

And you’re probably way too classy to have ever had one of those plastic webbing lawn chairs . And I’m not sure they even sell them any more! I think you have to be “of a certain age”, as they say, to understand the reference. “Older than dirt” is how I phrased it to my five year old grandson once. He paused for a nanno and then asked, “Babaa, how old is dirt?” Once I’d stopped giggling, I had to, as a geologist, tell him that dirt is pretty darned old...
    Last edited by Barb T; 22nd August 20 at 06:59 PM.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Barb T For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a kiltmaker, but I will say that I always prefer pleating to a line or pleating to a block over pleating to the sett.

There are two things I like about pleating to a line or block:

1) It gives you two different "looks" in the same kilt.

2) It follows the principle of Form Follows Function.

As I've often said, I do recognise that there are certain tartans the effect of which is dependent on being able to see all the colours in their normal proportions, where IMHO no pleating other than pleating to the sett looks good.

With Hollyrood, pleating to the blue block seems to naturally present itself. Seems to me that pleating it to all those lines results in busy pleats.

With my Isle Of Skye it's cheating in a way, at first glance it appears to be pleated to the block but the blocks have subtle lines in them. I saw somebody else wearing an IOS pleated that way, it's my favourite approach to pleating this tartan, perhaps because it best maintains the tartan's colour-balance.

Last edited by OC Richard; 23rd August 20 at 09:35 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our legacy beach towels trend more toward The Little Mermaid or volcanoes or puffins....with the occasional shark towel...

And you’re probably way too classy to have ever had one of those plastic webbing lawn chairs . And I’m not sure they even sell them any more! I think you have to be “of a certain age”, as they say, to understand the reference. “Older than dirt” is how I phrased it to my five year old grandson once. He paused for a nanno and then asked, “Babaa, how old is dirt?” Once I’d stopped giggling, I had to, as a geologist, tell him that dirt is pretty darned old...
    My mother, rest her soul, had 2 of them on her patio in fact their still there. And you can actually still get them at amazon, of course the price has gone up.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We definitely had them when I was a kid! We even had the chaise longue type (which we, of course, called a chase lounge....). They were actually pretty comfortable in comparison to hard plastic lawn chairs. Did leave an interesting pattern on the back of your legs, if I remember correctly....
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Barb T For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Palm trees. I used to have palm trees, on a sunset beach. I've seen my share of striped beach towels, though.

I never had this type of lawn chair personally, but family? Oh yeah. Ours were that sort that look like straws woven together, though.

Mine are... wait for it... plaid...

We definitely had them when I was a kid! We even had the chaise longue type (which we, of course, called a chase lounge....). They were actually pretty comfortable in comparison to hard plastic lawn chairs. Did leave an interesting pattern on the back of your legs, if I remember correctly....
    But did you have the rocking-chair type...
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure the hadn't been invented yet.....

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Barb T For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12