X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lot's of good ideas here. Steve's sporran mor is a great idea. Richard's hairy sporran looks pretty big too. A sporran bangs around a lot, so getting load off the front of your kilt might also be a consideration.
    I was thinking in terms of a small leather shoulder bag, like a small messenger bag, not as big as a haversack, about 9 inches by 12inches, something like the officer's bag in the link.
    https://www.tackagain.co.uk/home/213...-map-case.html
    Someone will point out that this map case is designed to hang from a belt, but it could be fitted with a shoulder strap.
    Would you use something like this?
    Last edited by gun eagal; 18th August 20 at 10:44 PM. Reason: more detail

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not myself, I have my sporran and my waistcoat pockets.

I do wish that the standard black piper's waistcoats had deeper pockets, and four of them!

As nearly all waistcoats had in the old days.

A guy in our band has the waistcoat that came with his black Argyll jacket and it has four pockets. I wonder why they stopped doing that.

So not in the band (until I find a four-pocket black waistcoat) but when I'm attending Highland Games I wear this brown tweed waistcoat with four deep functional pockets.

Last edited by OC Richard; 19th August 20 at 09:24 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, a couple of my jackets have pockets under the tashes.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FB: "jackets have pockets under the tashes" -- I don't follow. Sorry. Clarification, please.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    FB: "jackets have pockets under the tashes" -- I don't follow. Sorry. Clarification, please.
    My black barathea jackets’ tashes hang over a layer of identically shaped cloth, and when I lift the outer portion, there is a pocket in the inner layer. Very useful for very small, flat items.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictavia Leather do some nice "crannog" bags in different sizes, as well as other types of bags and pouches and custom work if you fancy something different - their sporrans look pretty good as well

https://www.pictavialeather.co.uk/pr...nt-crannog-bag

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me tashes are the big pockets (taschen) on Scottish doublets. I've had a few different doublets over the years and the tashes on them were functional pockets, two in front and two in back. I've put my hands in them to keep my fingers warm when piping outdoors on a cold day. They're flapped pockets, the flap has nonfunctional/ornamental buttons.

(The original 1855 army doublet)

Last edited by OC Richard; 22nd August 20 at 04:56 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some solutions I've tried...

I have a leather backpack from Saddleback Leather (saddlebackleather.com) when I have lots of stuff to carry. It's not cheap, but it's well nigh indestructible and always gets lots of compliments.

I have a nice canvas shoulder bag that I was given by a school I used to teach at in Shanghai. It's big enough to hold a few letter-size notebooks. I typically load it with a book to read, my sunblock, and my sunglasses in their case if I'm going to be out in the park on a sunny day. I think a military canvas bag, like the Indiana Jones carries, would look pretty sharp with the kilt. Saddleback also makes that style bag in leather.

I have two traditional-looking but large sporrans. One is a Thorfinn Custom Sporran "Rob Roy" model, which includes a hook for the keys, small pockets inside for business or credit cards, and a cellphone (although it's designed for the old flip phone, not for today's big smartphones). The bag is pretty expansive, but doesn't look too large, and it has a cord for pulling everything together at the top. I can easily fit my wallet, keys, reading glasses, hanky, and a phone if I want to. I can even fit a paperback book. It also has a neat snap-on mechanism for the flap, so it can be changed out for a different look. Unfortunately, the maker died a few years ago and these are not in production, but you might well find used ones on ebay or the "For Sale" section of this forum from time to time.

My other cargo sporran is from Stillwater Kilts and is a leather version of their "Nightstalker" model. Like Steve's prototype, this has a zipper compartment on the flap, but otherwise looks quite trad in black leather with the three tassels on the front. The flap has the zipper pocket in front, another pocket inside, and there are two compartments in the main bag. It's not as tall as the Thorfinn model, so a paperback book would not work, but it can easily carry the other items I listed above. I haven't seen this leather model on Stillwater's site for a few years, but you could contact them and see if they have any plans for a re-issue.

In general, the Rob Roy style sporrans from most makers will offer a larger storage pouch in a traditional-looking package.

When the weather or occasion calls for a kilt vest or jacket, I certainly do find those pockets to be handy. I had one of my kilt vests modified to make sure I had a glasses pocket on the chest, as well as the watch pockets near the waist.

And, as others have noted, the piper's belt pouch, or various belt pouches you can find at any Renn Faire, will also provide a handy annex to your sporran's storage space.

I hope these ideas are helpful.

Andrew

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I understand what a 'tash' is . I was asking if the pocket is in the tash, or is a second pocket concealed by the tash? We have an old jacket (perhaps from the 1920s) that has a second pocket (a shallow patch on the body of the jacket) under the right-hand tash, with a button-hole but no button. We think this was for a pocket watch and fob. Is that what you are describing, FB? Has anyone else seen something like that? Or can suggest another use?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I understand what a 'tash' is . I was asking if the pocket is in the tash, or is a second pocket concealed by the tash? We have an old jacket (perhaps from the 1920s) that has a second pocket (a shallow patch on the body of the jacket) under the right-hand tash, with a button-hole but no button. We think this was for a pocket watch and fob. Is that what you are describing, FB? Has anyone else seen something like that? Or can suggest another use?
    Actually, there is one of each. I hope this photo shows it well:

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast