X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Threaded View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Watch Purpose and Uniform 1725-1739?

As i understand it the Black Watch was formed in 1725 to police the Scottish Highlands and by 1939 were formed into a regiment of the regular British Army. On 1725 General Wade, Commander-in-Chief in North Britain issued an order regarding the uniform of the companies: "take Care to provide Plaid Cloathing and Bonnets in the Highland Dress for the Non-Commission Officers and Soldiers belonging to their Companies, the Plaid of each Company to be as near as they can of the same sort and Colour."

* My questions to the Rabble; Excepting the plaid and bonnet, is there any written references, paintings or other images describing or showing the colour or style of the jackets and/or waistcoats?

All my written and online references indicate a jacket of some variation of Red/brick. But none of them indicate to my satisfaction at least, the colour or shade of tunic during the aforementioned time period.

*Am i correct in describing the Black Watch as a police force from 1725 to 1739, after which they became a martial Force?

Thanks much

Jacques
    Last edited by Jacques; 18th August 20 at 11:59 PM.
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924