X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What tartan is this please?

The best I could guess (looking up on various websites) is County Cavan (Ireland). Help appreciated. Thanks.
    118614772_3530757693643334_9123395085554968415_n.jpg

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes HoE's County Cavan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that.

It's a lovely pattern and colours. I have an ancestor from Cavan, so that's a bonus. Except he was a criminal.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a beautiful tartan.

I have read, though Peter might have more accurate information, that all the tartans in House Of Edgar's Irish County Tartans range were designed by Polly Wittering, and first produced in 1996.

What I love about HOE's Irish County range is that they were designed simply to look good, which was the original motivation of the old tartan designers.

Tartans the design of which is governed by non-tartan non-aesthetic factors are rarely as attractive as tartans which are not. (For example designing a tartan based on colours from a flag, or a crest, or any other basis other than which colours make a good-looking tartan.)

I don't think there's a bad-looking tartan in the entire HOE Irish county range, and some are of surpassing beauty. Well done Polly!

My only regrets are that HOE only produces this range in 13oz, and that most/all of the sett-sizes are a bit small for my liking.

Here's a lovely photo of Cavan.

Last edited by OC Richard; 30th August 20 at 06:38 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    It is a beautiful tartan.

I have read, though Peter might have more accurate information, that all the tartans in House Of Edgar's Irish County Tartans range were designed by Polly Wittering, and first produced in 1996.
    Richard, yes that's correct, so far as I know the entire Irish County range was designed by Polly around the same time.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Richard, yes that's correct, so far as I know the entire Irish County range was designed by Polly around the same time.
    Thanks for the confirmation.

Thing is, I read that in a book that's chock-full of errors, World Tartans by Iain Zaczek.

Which didn't give me much confidence.

BTW I noticed that one of the HOE Irish County tartans has a curious similarity to Isle Of Skye.

Linguists and police detectives tend to not believe in coincidences, and I must say that artists are much the same.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte