X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A different kind of Sporran ...

During this viral period, I got a bug in my beret to do different things, make different kit that interests me. I am fascinated by the Bronze Age and Iron age periods of our people and this sporran is an homage to those Bronze Age warriors in the deep past.

The front of the sporran is cold cast Bronze. The sides, back and top are made of 1/8" thick leather. The dagger-latch is hand carved from Ebony. The whole sporran is hand made, including the shield to make the casting mold.

(That big slab of resin is internally reinforced with a welded brass mesh insert, like rebar in concrete so that it has lots of strength)

As I was making this, my mind went on to other designs and I'm now working on two more using Pictish motifs that I'm going to "cast in stone". There is a fourth design rattling around in my brain right now that is a bit more Gaelic in nature. I haven't gone beyond a drawing for that one, yet.

This is not High Street Scottish Shop stuff. Anyone can hit the "Buy Now" button and it's two days shipping from from Wang Chung.

Not for me, man. I honor my ancestors.

I'll post the Pictish ones just as soon as they are ready.
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Ninehostages For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!

And here's your image:

Bronze Age.jpg

Shane

4. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmacleod View Post
    Welcome!

And here's your image:

Bronze Age.jpg

Shane
    Many thanks, Shane!

Perhaps a Mod will delete the redundant posts from me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting concept

That is a fascinating concept indeed. What is it like for weight? Will you want to put a chain or thong on the sword to keep you from losing it?
    It looks quite theatrical I think. It will be interesting to watch how it patinas.
    Very creative expression here. Keep it up.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinenotburn View Post
    That is a fascinating concept indeed. What is it like for weight? Will you want to put a chain or thong on the sword to keep you from losing it?
    It looks quite theatrical I think. It will be interesting to watch how it patinas.
    Very creative expression here. Keep it up.
    Yes, it is a bit theatrical but so are sporran by their nature, for the most part!

It weighs a pound, almost exactly. The next one that I'm working on now will be lighter, as it is a Pictish pattern that is "incised" into a "rock face" and therefore needs less material. That one will not be shiny and likely not as theatrical. I may lighten the wire mesh that I've molded into the interior of the front casting but I will still include it. The engineer in me tells me that the material is potentially brittle and it needs a back bone. I will not compromise on the weight of the leather. (By the way, the back is soft, pliable leather ... not rigid). Anyway, the next one will be something like about 12-13 oz. in weight, I think. Substantial brass carrying rings are stitched into the back with doubled up rawhide thong that has a phenomenal tensile strength. I will take a photo of the back side at some point.

My intention was to attach the dagger with a chain. I haven't gotten around to that, yet and will do so when I find an appropriate one that work with "Bronze Age". I've gotten pretty good at aging brass and copper and any more patina will make them look duller, older and probably better. The face will not change much ... likely it will become duller with time but it can be waxed like a car and the shine brought back if it looks appropriate to do so. With such an ancient theme, I'm not sure yet whether it needs to be shiny at all.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Ninehostages For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is pretty cool! I'd love to see how you do it.. the tinker bug side of my brain has it's suspicions. Very unique and imaginitive!
    May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live