X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does nyone have pictures of a Freedom Kilt with pockets?

I've been wearing a Sport Kilt with slash pockets recently and really enjoy it. I've read that Freedom Kilts also offer slash pockets on their traditional kilts, and would love to see how they're constructed.

Follow up question, if you have a Freedom Kilt with pockets: are you happy with them?

I've heard that some kilt makers shy from using pockets because they may effect the swing and drape of the kilt.
    Last edited by KennethSime; 5th September 20 at 01:47 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look over the history of kilt making, the Utilikilt company were the first to make a kilt with pockets.

Then I came along and began to make kilts with pockets too. It just made sense. What other male garment does not have pockets.

After a while Sports Kilts began to offer pockets. I have heard, but do not have proof to back it up, that they bought on of my kilts through a third party to see how I did it.

I am an Engineer so finding a way to incorporate pockets without distorting the garment is important to me. And that came in real handy when it came to putting pockets into a Tartan kilt made from full weight wool fabric and that look and hung like a high quality made kilt.
    I learned real quick that just sticking pockets into a kilt would not give me what I was going for.

Here is a Dress Blue Tartan kilt with pockets. 8.63 yards of 16oz wool

Even with formal wear my kilts have pockets. Victoria, City of Gardens Tartan, 16oz wool.

X Marks member Mike 1 From the very first run of the X Marks Tartan.

Side Slash pockets

Under Apron pocket

16 oz wool, Black Watch Tartan, weathered version.
    This kilt is completely hand stitched.

And has 3 pockets.

From May 2004 until December 2019, when I closed my retail shop, it was exceptionally rare for me to have a customer ask for a kilt without pockets.

Over the years I have taught many people how to incorporate pockets into a kilt and retain the classic look. At the annual Kilt Kamp, Barb T. would teach in one room and I in another. Even a few of my former employees have continued to make kilts with what I taught them.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 5th September 20 at 02:44 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Steve,

First off, thank you for the detailed pictures! Your kilts look really great, and the pics are quite explanatory. That black watch weathered tartan has some great color to it. I was browsing your custom order form earlier, and noticed that you offer brown leather straps as well - a very nice touch. I'm not quite sure when my next kilt order will be, but you're definitely on the list. :-)

The Sport Kilt pockets seem to be in similar places, but I think not quite as well done. The left-hand pocket hangs between the legs, underneath the aprons, and the right-hand pocket is more of a traditional slash pocket. Oddly, the right-hand pocket is occluded by the second right-hand hip strap; I may end up removing this.

Second, apologies for the duplicate post (and the typos). I didn't read the disclaimer at the top of the forum about waiting for moderator approval. If you're able to delete the duplicate post as a moderator, I'd sure appreciate it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please remember that while I am still making kilts, I have closed my retail shop and limited myself to one off custom orders.

I do it for fun now instead of for a living.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I managed to get one of Freedom kilts ex-rentals before the retail shop closed. They were kind enough to put in pockets upon my request. It is a very well made kilt, and one of my personal favourites. The pockets are positioned very well, and very comfortable. My favourite part is that unless someone is REALLY looking at your kilt closely, they will never ever know you have pockets.

Unfortunately I don't have a picture of me using the pockets, but I hope this helps.