X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on pleating to the stripe

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8D8C2BE1-7111-4851-9328-5EEDB814C1B5.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	39199Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19008B72-62DB-4351-98FF-5079C98DFFEE.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	39200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54E3F711-B8CC-453B-A47B-5CB05299CC1D.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	39201So this is my first go at making a kilt , I had originally thought I would pleat to the sett but for the sake of ease I decided the stripe will be enough of a challenge for my first. I have my book and all the supplies so I’m ready to start. My tartan is modern Lindsay and I pleated it two ways for comparison 1st on the double blue stripe on red and 2nd the solid green. Are there any other obvious ways that I can’t see? I prefer the blue on red my self, and a recent thread on here discussed the lawn chair factor, how lawn chair like are these?
    Anxious for all your thoughts and suggestions.

Dick Jones
    Last edited by Flyboy; 5th September 20 at 11:43 PM.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Flyboy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats at taking the first step to what I know will be many more to follow. My only 'help' if I may is: pleat to the stripe that you personally like best. If I was pleaating this, I would pleat to the green. Best of success.

Garth
    South African military veteran. Great grandson of Captain William Henry Stevenson of the Highland Light Infantry, Scotland (1880's) and brother to Infantryman Peter Mark Schumann of the 2nd Transvaal Scottish, South Africa (1980's).

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Garth For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the double stripe...

Your tartan is not dissimilar to my Maxwell muted kilt from USA Kilts. I had mine pleated to the narrow double stripe and quite like the look.

Best of luck on your undertaking! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you are pleating to the stripe, you don't have to pleat to one of the pivots. The red block looks wide enough to me that you could pleat to the red block that lies to one side of the double blue pivot. Why don't you try pinning that up and see what it looks like?

For a beginning kilmaker, getting a double stripe perfectly centered in each pleat, plus getting all the horizontal stripes to line up perfectly is a real challenge. My suggestion would be to pick either the solid red block or the solid green block, whichever you like the look of. That way, you would only have to match horizontal stripes.

But, ultimately, it really depends on which you like the best! Let us know what you decide!
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Barb T For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your advice and opinions, I’ve taken it all in for contemplation. Barb on your advice I pinned a small section but to be honest I didn’t like it as much Without the vertical element as with pleating on the double blue pivot. My thoughts for this kilt in the pleated part anyway is to:

#1 to minimize the green
    #2 to emphasize the red
    #3 to maximize the blue

I think to achieve all of the above and leave some vertical element, pleating on the double blue pivot is the best option. As for the ease of it as a beginner the solid red option is tempting but maybe having the blue lines will make me extra conscious of my tension and stitches. I worked many years as a Funeral Director and Embalmer, so neat discreet stitching is my forte, so to speak ! Humour aside I’m not bad with a needle and thread. I Can also see how it goes with a few pleats and if it’s wobbly rip them out re-mark the tartan an start again on the solid red. I think the vertical element is something I really like in Shaun’s kilt above, so I think that’s my choice.

Thanks again,

Dick
    Last edited by Flyboy; 9th September 20 at 04:59 PM. Reason: I used wrong name

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Flyboy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go you! You might find the following post that I did a few years ago helpful! http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-stripe-78527/
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Barb T For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on embarking on the adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8D8C2BE1-7111-4851-9328-5EEDB814C1B5.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	39199Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19008B72-62DB-4351-98FF-5079C98DFFEE.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	39200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54E3F711-B8CC-453B-A47B-5CB05299CC1D.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	39201So this is my first go at making a kilt , I had originally thought I would pleat to the sett but for the sake of ease I decided the stripe will be enough of a challenge for my first. I have my book and all the supplies so I’m ready to start. My tartan is modern Lindsay and I pleated it two ways for comparison 1st on the double blue stripe on red and 2nd the solid green. Are there any other obvious ways that I can’t see? I prefer the blue on red my self, and a recent thread on here discussed the lawn chair factor, how lawn chair like are these?
    Anxious for all your thoughts and suggestions.

Dick Jones