X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Victorian Aesthetic, MacLeay Inspiration

A while ago I was lucky enough to find a Victorian Era jacket in my size. After some digging I was to find out with the help of Tim from House of Labrahn that my jacket dates from 1894. I was recently able to add a pair of hand knit hose in a pattern from 1847. My sporran is from 1911, the watch chain and fob are Victorian, tie is from 1900 as are the cuff links and the shirt, the shoes and kilt are modern.

A close up of the hose, unfortunately my knitter is not taking commissions at the moment.

Last edited by McMurdo; 10th September 20 at 03:07 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks great McMurdo

Very handsomely turned out there McMurdo. Well done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done Glen!
    Being male is a matter of birth,
    Being a man is a matter of maturity,
    Being a gentleman is a matter of choice!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice!

It's so interesting to me to look through MacLeay and Victorian photos and see how oftentimes they both tell the same tale, while in certain regards there's a disconnect between the two.

One of those things is hose. In The Highlanders Of Scotland most of the hose seen are tartan or diced, in the main they're the same as we have today. There are tartan and diced hose with marl cuffs, something not often seen nowadays. And there are selfcoloured hose, grey, taupe, or brick, often with contrasting cuffs.

And there's this interesting pair of hose, neither diced nor tartan, but an overcheck one might say, blue and red overcheck over grey.

The odd thing is that Victorian photos show a number of hose styles which aren't in The Highlanders Of Scotland.

One style is hose with hoops, with horizontal stripes. From photographic evidence they were fairly common in Victorian times.

Another style is what you have there, hose with pairs of stripes. There are none in The Highlanders Of Scotland but plenty in 19th century photos.

Last edited by OC Richard; 12th September 20 at 04:39 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Very nice!

It's so interesting to me to look through MacLeay and Victorian photos and see how oftentimes they both tell the same tale, while in certain regards there's a disconnect between the two.

One of those things is hose. In The Highlanders Of Scotland most of the hose seen are tartan or diced, in the main they're the same as have have today. There are tartan and diced hose with marl cuffs, something not often seen nowadays. And there are selfcoloured hose, grey, taupe, or brick, often with contrasting cuffs.

And there's this interesting pair of hose, neither diced nor tartan, but an overcheck one might say, blue and red overcheck over grey.

The odd thing is that Victorian photos show a number of hose styles which aren't in The Highlanders Of Scotland.

One style is hose with hoops, with horizontal stripes. From photographic evidence they were fairly common in Victorian times.

Another style is what you have there, hose with pairs of stripes. There are none in The Highlanders Of Scotland but plenty in 19th century photos.

I love the hose you show from the Highlanders of Scotland, I also really love the pair worn here with the stags heads. My knitter assures me that the pattern used is from 1847. Nonetheless, one thing for certain the Victorians were not shy about loud hose.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking hose.

McMurdo - I believe the pattern for your socks is sold by the Gairloch Musuem https://www.gairlochmuseum.org and can be purchased from https://www.lovecrafts.com/en-gb/p/g...eritage-museum

I had previously seen more info on this pattern and recall some reference to the mid 1800s- but it looks like it has now been taken offline (they used to sell the pattern through their own webshop). I'm, sure they can provide more info on this if you want.

I also think House of Labhran used to sell hose made to this pattern - but they no longer appear on their website (although they do have a picture of them with their Victorian Pattern 1890s Garter Flashes).

In terms of the Stag's Head pattern - you could give these guys a try: https://tartansocks.simdif.com/range-of-hose.html

I have also seen a couple of old prints featuring MacFarlanes - might be interesting to see these made up - but, having just received 2 custom knits last week, I'm in danger of my hose habit getting out of control...

9. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tomo,

Thank you for the information on the hose. It is interesting stuff and I know what you mean about hose addiction it's a real thing. I did know about that place with the stag head hose and follow them on Facebook. I may one day get a pair like Hugh Graham has on in the last print you shared, after all we are wearing the same tartan.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes those stag hose are cool!

Similar things show up in Victorian photos, not stags, but other motifs

Both of these hose are interesting, especially on the left, a complicated pattern I can't quite figure out.

Last edited by OC Richard; 12th September 20 at 04:48 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    McMurdo, you look dashing as always.

I love the attention to detail in getting the vintage-pattern hose.

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting that the fellow holding the shotgun in one the photos Mr. Cook posted above is wearing a raccoon face sporran. Raccoons are a North American animal, so was the photo taken in North America? Has anyone seen a raccoon sporran in Scotland, in the past or nowadays? You will see some pretty "interesting" raccoon sporrans at Highland games here in the PNW.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to gun eagal For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast