X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maple Leaf Tartan Comparison

I'm thinking about my next kilt and am drawn to the maple leaf tartan for several reasons. It looks like several mills weave the tartan and I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with the House of Edgar version. Or, maybe even better, both the HOE and Lochcarron versions?

From Rocky's site, the HOE version seems darker, but with a red that pops more, while the Lochcarron version offers brighter greens and browns and seems all around more evenly toned. But perhaps that's just my monitor. (I know I could order swatches, and it might come to that, but figured I'd put the question out there.)

Thanks for any words of wisdom!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not only do mills use different dyes, but you're dealing with different cameras, lighting, and computers. Get the swatches for a real comparison.
    Last edited by Father Bill; 13th September 20 at 10:30 AM.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, what he said.

Having said that , no comparisos but I am very happy with my 16 oz Loch Lochcarron.

Also so remember that there will be a difference between different weights from the same mill. The Colours will be the same but the sett will be different sizes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, get swatches. Also, I would suggest you get 16 oz. swatches, and 16 oz. fabric; it is well worth the slight difference in price.
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes swatches are a must, and swatches in the weight you intend to purchase.

Because some weavers have visible differences in colouring between their 13oz and 16oz fabrics.

The most obvious, and inexplicable, that I've seen is with House Of Edgar's 13oz and 16oz Drummond Of Perth.

HOE has a unique and lovely "muted" colour range.

I used to work at a Highland Outfitter, we had swatch-books from all the big mills.

In their 13oz "muted range" swatch-book was Drummond Of Perth.

One day we noticed that the same tartan in the same muted colourings appeared in their 16oz "modern range" swatch-book. It wasn't a misplaced swatch, the swatch was clearly labelled "Drummond Of Perth Modern" and if you wanted Drummond Of Perth in their muted colourings in 16oz fabric that's what you ordered.

The organisation I used to play in, The Los Angeles Scottish, had a mix of the 13oz "muted" kilts and 16oz "modern" kilts and they all matched in well, though there were slight colour variations between the 13 and 16oz as is typical with many mills.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 13th September 20 at 10:28 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: