X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having been out in all weathers in a kilt, I found they worked well - but the level of the lower edge is just above the kneecap is for a very good reason - it is probably more accurately just short enough not to be caught in the knee joint.
    In the worst weather I have been out in I was glad that I was wearing wool and that I had a long plaid with me. I wound it around once below the waist and once above and it made a huge difference, defence against both wind and rain even though I could not have got wetter had I just risen from a lake.

Some of the folk festivals I have been at were pretty legendary for their weather and I have often been glad of my clothing and equipment being up to the task, both in the blistering heat and the driving rain.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found the same re: bottom of the kilt. I'm keen to hear more stories about these festivals and their weather and how your clothing served you well, if you don't mind sharing. (In both the rain AND the heat!)

Best,
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    Having been out in all weathers in a kilt, I found they worked well - but the level of the lower edge is just above the kneecap is for a very good reason - it is probably more accurately just short enough not to be caught in the knee joint.
    In the worst weather I have been out in I was glad that I was wearing wool and that I had a long plaid with me. I wound it around once below the waist and once above and it made a huge difference, defence against both wind and rain even though I could not have got wetter had I just risen from a lake.

Some of the folk festivals I have been at were pretty legendary for their weather and I have often been glad of my clothing and equipment being up to the task, both in the blistering heat and the driving rain.

Anne the Pleater

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, it's my favorite hiking gear. Maybe the first time I wore my first kilt was on this hike, a short trail that parallels Falls Creek falls, north of Winthrop WA

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tommy in kilt medium size.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	255.9 KB 
ID:	39336
    Last edited by Oilverland; 20th October 20 at 06:18 PM.
    "Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length" - Robert Frost

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Oilverland For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello from western Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Oilverland View Post
    I agree, it's my favorite hiking gear. Maybe the first time I wore my first kilt was on this hike, a short trail that parallels Falls Creek falls, north of Winthrop WA

Name:	Tommy in kilt medium size.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	255.9 KB 
ID:	39336
    Greetings, enjoyed your photo, I too hike Washington in a kilts
    Kilted in the San Juans

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    I had a friend who did the Appalachian Trail. He started out in a kilt. But he preferred to wear the waist of his kilts down at the top of his hip bones. Of course this dropped the hem to the bottom of his knee.

On the third day it was raining pretty good and the sand that was kicked up behind him caked on the back hem. This chafed the back of his calves so bad that it drew blood.

He was laid up for five days letting his legs heal before he could continue.

I remember that he was more angry at the delay than the fact that the kilt caused the problem in the first place.
    That is precisely why you should not wear kilts which are longer than top to mid knee. Anyone who lives in the UK and regularly wears a kilt could tell you that would happen. The kilt did not cause the problem, either his wearing of it or his choice of kilt length caused the problem. Don’t blame the tools, blame the user.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couldn’t agree more

I believe I prefer the casual kilt for hiking as the kilt doesn’t have the amount of fabric as a more traditional kilt build. But I wore my USA Kilt semi-trad when I met my daughter on springer mountain as she was finishing her 5-month AT adventure. As my hike was less than a mile that day, I was fit as a fiddle, while she was rather hairy and emaciated ;^)

Name:	D5988552-F52D-421C-9143-DF7F8FB4683A.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	363.3 KB 
ID:	39369

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to javankrona For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What an adventure for your daughter! Good for her! A thing that I've thought about doing but probably never will. Good on her!

Quote Originally Posted by javankrona View Post
    I believe I prefer the casual kilt for hiking as the kilt doesn’t have the amount of fabric as a more traditional kilt build. But I wore my USA Kilt semi-trad when I met my daughter on springer mountain as she was finishing her 5-month AT adventure. As my hike was less than a mile that day, I was fit as a fiddle, while she was rather hairy and emaciated ;^)

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for her! To do that in 5 months and still be smiling, especially considering some of the weather that she had to go through, is quite an accomplishment. A through-hike of the AT has been on my bucket list for years. I think I'd probably be a 'down-hiller' (N to S) myself. Can't afford to take the time off from work, though, so it'll probably never happen.

You're looking sharp and trail-ready.
    John

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What pray tell, is a "5 month AT adventure", please?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 30th October 20 at 05:31 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The AT is the Appalachian Trail. It runs about 2200 miles from Maine to Georgia and gets up over 6600 feet. Think of a really long West Highland Way. It takes planning and about 5 months of extremely serious hiking to complete in one year. Some do stretches over several years to complete the whole thing. Others just do bits. South Bounders start in Maine, while North Bounders start in Georgia.

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to DCampbell16B For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast