X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only way to hike!

I've done 12 day hikes in the White Mountains this year in my kilt (Muted Buchanan acrylic), and it beats shorts by a mile (meaning a wider leg swing to get up those ledges!). I especially appreciated it on the Baldface Circle Trail last week! You could say I'm head over heels over it! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nancy Peter Ledges.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	39224
    Last edited by Peter Carleton; 14th September 20 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Photo is upside down

2. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Peter Carleton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Carleton View Post
    I've done 12 day hikes in the White Mountains this year in my kilt (Muted Buchanan acrylic), and it beats shorts by a mile (meaning a wider leg swing to get up those ledges!). I especially appreciated it on the Baldface Circle Trail last week! You could say I'm head over heels over it!
    Yup, I quite enjoy hiking in a kilt! In my youth I worked a summer job as a backpacking guide in Sierra Nevada, and wore a Utilikilts Workman on nearly every trip. A bit heavy for my tastes now, but it sure has held up well over the years.

Here I am atop Pico Blanco on the Big Sur coast in California a few years back, wearing my Mountain Hardwear Elkommando kilt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 4.21.48 PM.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	39225

I think I'd like to pick up a tartan kilt suitable for hiking, perhaps one of the USA Kilts casuals or Sport Kilt hiking models.
    Last edited by KennethSime; 14th September 20 at 05:40 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a friend who did the Appalachian Trail. He started out in a kilt. But he preferred to wear the waist of his kilts down at the top of his hip bones. Of course this dropped the hem to the bottom of his knee.

On the third day it was raining pretty good and the sand that was kicked up behind him caked on the back hem. This chafed the back of his calves so bad that it drew blood.

He was laid up for five days letting his legs heal before he could continue.

I remember that he was more angry at the delay than the fact that the kilt caused the problem in the first place.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    I had a friend who did the Appalachian Trail. He started out in a kilt. But he preferred to wear the waist of his kilts down at the top of his hip bones. Of course this dropped the hem to the bottom of his knee.

On the third day it was raining pretty good and the sand that was kicked up behind him caked on the back hem. This chafed the back of his calves so bad that it drew blood.

I remember that he was more angry at the delay than the fact that the kilt caused the problem in the first place.
    Wow, I'm sorry to hear about your friend Steve! That sounds like a world of hurt.

I've always worn my hiking kilts at the "jeans waist," with the hem about mid-knee. This leaves room for my pack's hip belt to sit at the "natural waist." In the picture above I wore the Elkommando over three days at 12 miles/day or so, and in the past I've worn my UK Workman's on 5-day trips of 5-10 miles/day, never had any problems with the hem and the back of my knee.

Of course, California is a lot drier than the East Coast, and I've had the luxury to hike it good weather for the most part; easy to do when you're doing a 5-day trip, and not a 3-month trip.

I'm betting that the fit of the kilt is probably crucial to having a good time, as always.
    Last edited by KennethSime; 14th September 20 at 07:08 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree

the only way to hike.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to grizzbass For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loch Lomond kilted

Climbed many Scottish mountains over the years but last weekend was the first time in a kilt.
    Weather held out so the wool kilt worked out just fine but might have to invest in a cheap machine washable one for future hikes.

Name:	IMG-20200920-WA0020.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	39265

12. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Mr stonk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiking is what spurred me to investigate non-bifurcated options. How did you like hiking in the Workman? I've gone on a few short hikes but find the material to be nearly useless in cool weather an also incredibly stiff.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    Yup, I quite enjoy hiking in a kilt! In my youth I worked a summer job as a backpacking guide in Sierra Nevada, and wore a Utilikilts Workman on nearly every trip. A bit heavy for my tastes now, but it sure has held up well over the years.

Here I am atop Pico Blanco on the Big Sur coast in California a few years back, wearing my Mountain Hardwear Elkommando kilt.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 4.21.48 PM.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	39225

I think I'd like to pick up a tartan kilt suitable for hiking, perhaps one of the USA Kilts casuals or Sport Kilt hiking models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds pretty rough! That's been a concern of mine as well but as long as the bottom of the kilt is at the top of my knee, I never have troubles. Of course, I don't hike in 8-yard style kilts but use either low-yardage knife-pleated or 4-yard box-pleated kilts. The balance is much better. I also don't wear a belt and use the belt of my backpack as a sort-of-belt for the kilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jthk View Post
    Hiking is what spurred me to investigate non-bifurcated options. How did you like hiking in the Workman? I've gone on a few short hikes but find the material to be nearly useless in cool weather an also incredibly stiff.

Thanks!
    I think as a younger man who schlepped a lot of extra gear for kids, I appreciated the hard-wearing nature of the cotton duck. As a grown person carrying the lightest gear I can afford, I much prefer the MHW kilt.

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotcha. I also carry the lightest gear I can and prefer a 4-yard box-pleat (wool) kilt but when it's very warm, I swing with PV.

Best,
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    I think as a younger man who schlepped a lot of extra gear for kids, I appreciated the hard-wearing nature of the cotton duck. As a grown person carrying the lightest gear I can afford, I much prefer the MHW kilt.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast