X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New kilt arrived!

It's been around ten years since I got a new kilt. Then it was the Isle Of Skye which has been my go-to kilt ever since.

Within the last couple years I discovered I had Stewart ancestry so I wanted a Stewart kilt. Now I have one!

I got a kilt from USA Kilts in the Marton Mills 16oz tweed Hunting Stewart Weathered. The fabric is gorgeous.

I haven't had an opportunity to get pics of me wearing it (nobody to take the photos) so these will have to do, three possible outfits.

About hose, I'm not thrilled with how any of my current hose look with this tartan.

Probably the best is this soft Ancient Blue.

Last edited by OC Richard; 15th September 20 at 12:28 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would a thistle coloured hose work? That’s the first thing I thought. I do also like your ancient light blue.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking kilt.

I'd go for a lighter blue/grey to pull out the colour in the kilt - or a muted pair similar to HoC Byson, but maybe a custom knit with diced tops to pull out the red stripe.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard,

Beautiful kilt. I particularly like your lovat green jacket with it. I'd suggest to pick up a pair of brick red or mustard yellow hose- something that would draw out the stripes in the HS. Lovat blue would also look nice.

David

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the hose suggestions! I hadn't thought of most of those.

Thistle? Like a pinkish/purplish colour?

The next time I'm at a Games hopefully there will be some hose to be seen and I can check out some of your ideas.

I have the Cheviot "bison" but they look a bit too taupe/purple to me.

The jacket that's middle in the collage above and to the right is the photo below is an interesting colour. Not really Lovat nor grey nor moss, the closest thing to it is Feldgrau, perhaps. In any case I really like how it goes with that kilt. (That jacket sort of goes with anything I've put it with.)

Here's my three tweed jackets, the centre one wasn't included in the collage above because I didn't care for the look with the Hunting Stewart Weathered.

Last edited by OC Richard; 16th September 20 at 12:44 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Thanks for all the hose suggestions! I hadn't thought of most of those.

Thistle? Like a pinkish/purplish colour?

The next time I'm at a Games hopefully there will be some hose to be seen and I can check out some of your ideas.

I have the Cheviot "bison" but they look a bit too taupe/purple to me.

The jacket that's middle in the collage above and to the right is the photo below is an interesting colour. Not really Lovat nor grey nor moss, the closest thing to it is Feldgrau, perhaps. In any case I really like how it goes with that kilt. (That jacket sort of goes with anything I've put it with.)

Here's my three tweed jackets, the centre one wasn't included in the collage above because I didn't care for the look with the Hunting Stewart Weathered.

Richard, the third jacket to the right is a standout- both in color and design detail on the cuffs. Where did you get it? What tweed is it made of?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which one would you say goes with the Stewart of Atholl?

They all look great to me.
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlpope View Post
    Richard, the third jacket to the right is a standout- both in color and design detail on the cuffs. Where did you get it? What tweed is it made of?
    It is a standout. The label says Cooper & McKenzie, which is a shop in Dundee. I don't know anything more about it, sorry.

I got it on Ebay for around $100.

As you noticed it has much nicer cuffs than those other two jackets. (Those aren't separate cuffs per se, they're entirely sewn onto and into the sleeves.)

The Cooper & McKenzie jacket has elaborately made separate cuffs, which are satin-lined like the rest of the jacket.

They're only held onto the sleeve by a small bit of stitching. I tried to take photos of how they're made:

Last edited by OC Richard; 17th September 20 at 06:17 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninehostages View Post
    Which one would you say goes with the Stewart of Atholl?
    I think it depends on the colours, if they're Modern, Ancient, Weathered, or Muted colours.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added a Prince Charlie to the mix

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: