X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I guess no one even questioned why anyone would wear a kilt on a TV show about hot metal and forges. Personally I like my skin too much not to protect it from fire and hot sparks.

And if the kilt were one of the Pakistani Acrylic jobs, I personally do not appreciate my clothing bursting into flame so would avoid anything flammable around a forge.

Fashion forerunner or just stupid? I can just imagine any serious blacksmith's comments - "Fashion be damned".
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 21st September 20 at 09:24 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FiF kilts

I’ve seen every episode of “Forged in Fire”. Utility kilts (as in: canvas kilts) are quite common on the show. Of course, utility kilts have belt loops on the front since they’re worn with a belt. I’ve only seen one tartan kilt on the show that I remember, and it was worn by a judge.

FWIW: I have never seen a traditional kilt with belt loops on the front.
    "Far an taine ‘n abhainn, ‘s ann as mò a fuaim."
    Where the stream is shallowest, it is noisiest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've welded in my cotton DNKE Highlander utility kilt. Worked fine. Wouldn't do that in ripstop or anything that would melt, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrod6057 View Post
    I’ve seen every episode of “Forged in Fire”. Utility kilts (as in: canvas kilts) are quite common on the show. Of course, utility kilts have belt loops on the front since they’re worn with a belt. I’ve only seen one tartan kilt on the show that I remember, and it was worn by a judge.

FWIW: I have never seen a traditional kilt with belt loops on the front.
    Season 6, Episode 9. Winner is wearing a white/black/red tartan for the finale. He wore a utilikilt for the first part. I kept seeing something that looked out of place whenever focused on him and had to pause the show to make sure I saw what I saw. Just unusual.
    Garrai Eoin!! - Garryowen!

Chris
    "Trooper, look at the Master Parachutist's Badge on my chest. Do I look like a tanker to you?"

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to rdjmchris For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdjmchris View Post
    Season 6, Episode 9. Winner is wearing a white/black/red tartan for the finale. He wore a utilikilt for the first part. I kept seeing something that looked out of place whenever focused on him and had to pause the show to make sure I saw what I saw. Just unusual.
    I’ll have to watch it back. I specifically recall David Baker in a kilt, but I don’t recall the contestant who wore one. Not surprising though. Lots of kilts on that show.
    "Far an taine ‘n abhainn, ‘s ann as mò a fuaim."
    Where the stream is shallowest, it is noisiest.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am just pulling out some kilts for the colder weather and putting away the lighter weight ones, and at the end of the rail found an older summer weight kilt I made from a fairly lightweight cotton without a strong insert in the waistband.

It has belt loops at the sides, (at the edges of the pleats) one at centre back and one at the edge of the front apron, and is worn with a belt so it is in compression rather than under tension.

There is a distinct difference between a tailored fully supported and shaped garment, which should be able to take the stresses and strains of supporting itself in wear and a more dressmaking approach where there are some elements of shaping and structure, but the fabric and facing material is not up to taking the strain of being self supporting.

Anne The Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my Utilikilts have beltloops only because they were made that way. They might slide off if I’m negligent about their place about my hips. I put a belt on but not for the kilt, it’ll slip down as designed if i permit. The belt is for small utilities such as sheathed folding knife, key ring clip, phone holder clip flashlight clip and whatever other stuff might be needed that particular time. My Utilikilt Workman has all kinds of cool sht built into it, All the way to hammer loop and pencil pockets.
    My tartans have only the two sporran loops in back.
    Go, have fun, don't work at, make it fun! Kilt them, for they know not, what they wear. Where am I now?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12