X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newly Kilted!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newly Kilted!

'ello all!

Well, yesterday I recieved my first kilt, a black AmeriKilt, after a month or so of debate, research, and thought. I'd wanted a kilt for some time, but only recently was introduced to the modern kilt via the Utilikilt booth at GenCon.

The kilt is great...fits well, hangs nicely, and feels great. It's everything I was looking for, except now I want more of them. :-)

But I've convinced myself to hold off, wear this one awhile, and gauge reactions from wife/family/etc before taking too large a plunge. I've already got a wishlist: Bearkilt in Farquharson tartan (the sept of my familial clan), Survival Utilikilt, lined Pittsburgh kilt for the winters...so hard to keep from just ordering the lot of them!

Just wanted to thank everyone in the forum...I've been lurking here for awhile, gathering information. Now that I'm officially kilted, I thought I'd announce it!

Dreadbelly is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Conga Rats! <3_)~~~ <3_)~~~ <3_)~~~ <3_)~~~ <3_)~~~ <3_)~~~

Waiting on mine my self, glad to hear somebody got one, makes the wait easier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought one kilt would be enough, but it didn't take me long to order another one. Now, I have 5 kilts in my closet.

Down the road, you may want to get yourself a Tartan Kilt or two. Solid colour kilts are nice, but you may want one for that more formal occasion.

Anyway, welcome to the Inner Circle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcmtnbka
    I thought one kilt would be enough, but it didn't take me long to order another one. Now, I have 5 kilts in my closet.

Down the road, you may want to get yourself a Tartan Kilt or two. Solid colour kilts are nice, but you may want one for that more formal occasion.
    Yes, a Tartan is def. in the future. I've already got my eye on a PV Farquharson from Bearkilts...probably a 4 yard to start with. Just gotta gather the funds.

One really great thing about the current kilt market is the sheer variety. There are SO MANY kiltmakers to choose from, and from most reports they are all very, very good. Honestly, choosing between Bear, Pittsburgh, USA, Utilikilts, Amerikilts, and then the more traditional makers was incredibly difficult. I have a feeling I'll def. be sampling the various wares over the course of the next few years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. I.m up to 3 kilts now, all tartan. I have two MacNeill of Barra,amd a Black Watch. Now I am jonseing for an 8 yard kilt in one of the Gordon tartan. I might even break down and get a modern kilt also, probably one from Jeff at Pittsburg kilts. The Gordon will either be a USA polyvis or a Bear polyvis. Who knows, maybe one from each of them, as I hate to make a choice between the two. Both make great products, and from what I've seen in this forum, they are both great guys to deal with.
    "A day spent in the fields and woods, or on the water should not count as a day off our allotted number upon this earth."
    Jerry, Kilted Old Fart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WELCOME

You are fitting in well with this bunch of kilted people. So many decisions so many choices, it is just plain hard to decide which way to go. It is a feeling we all have had one time or another, and continue to have.

The options are what make kilt wearing such a joy! Keep everyone guessing as to which kilt you are wearing

Again welcome to XMARKS
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome-- Good for you!

I can't say I am as delighted with my Amerikilt as you are becuse it is high maintenace to keep it hanging nice after sitting, driving etc. and it did not fit when I got it, but I am just as delighted at wearing it. Where I am I get very very few positive comments, very few smiles, and lots of snickers a couple of bad comments, some people that either like it or are at least ok with it never comment at all unless it comes up somehow,( NO BUBBA That's not what I mean" ) but none of that has stopped me from wearing it prettty much wherever I want. Since you have been lurking you probably know all that by now.

Like you I want more, not very many more, just 50 or so.. .

Glad you joined us!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cryptonom
    I have a feeling I'll def. be sampling the various wares over the course of the next few years.
    You'll know you're infected with the bug badly when the waiting and jonesing is more than you can take so you start making your own kilts. Welcome to our happy band.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got my black original utilikilt last week, took it to New Hope, PA to wear it in public for the first time. Only neg comment was from my other half, wanted to know when I started wearing skirts...
    Did get a few looks when we walked into Marsha Browns for dinner. But other than that it was far better than I thought it was going to be. Now I just have to find wear it here at home. Other half and I are planning to go out friday with a few friends, I'm thinking this would be the best time to show Salisbury men the freedom of a Kilt, hehe. While Salisbury is a University town and the shopping and medical hub for the lower threee counties here on the slower lower eastern shore of Maryland, it is also extremely conservative
    ...At least I know i'll get some good ribbing from my friends.

Richard

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VTXbikebear
    Just got my black original utilikilt last week, took it to New Hope, PA to wear it in public for the first time. Only neg comment was from my other half, wanted to know when I started wearing skirts...

----- Other half and I are planning to go out friday with a few friends,
    Richard
    Sometimes my wife is bolder then I about it. We will go to a place I have not been at while kilted and she just carries on like it's nothing as if I were wearing trousers. She has truly come a long way..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast