X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Purgy View Post
    Hello everyone!
    I don’t have a final decision yet, Casual kilt or Semi-Trad, but it will almost certainly be 5 yards.
    First, thanks so much for reporting back! Looks like the 65/35 Poly/Viscose is pretty common.

Second, if you have the budget for it, the Semi-Trad looks very, very nice! I'm about to order one of their in-stock casuals, and think it'll be great for everyday wear.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, I have carefully studied all the threads sent and I will be free to order the making of a kilt from my own tartan at Freedom Kilts.
    Kilts have become my passion and I have a deep respect for their meaning, and looking at just a scratch of your work (but also your philosophy, from your website)
    I can't imagine any other place for ordering such a special item. (plus I don't know any other Kilt maker "this good" )
    I will definitely contact you in the (hopefully) near future.
    First if I may, Freedom Kilts closed its retail shop on the 1st of Dec 2019. I am semi-retired now. I am still making kilts but am concentrating on custom, hand stitched kilts in my Contemporary style.

And right now I am so swamped with orders. In fairness to my customers I am having to tell them that I cannot foresee being able to accept new order for the next year.

Now, about designing a Tartan.

There is a saying "All Tartans are plaids but not all plaids are Tartan."
    Not all Tartans are equal. Some are more suited to making into a kilt than some others. So seek out some help if you are uncertain if your design is suitable.

And finally - There is a physical limit on the absolute minimum amount of fabric that a loom is capable of weaving. There is waste on each end of the length of fabric.
    And there is a minimum length where a weaver is able to break even on the cost of the labor to warp and operate the loom.

The problem is that this minimum is different for the different mills.
    At one time you could order as little as one kilts length of fabric at a time. Those days are pretty well gone.
    Today, the minimum is around 11 meters. As 12 meters of fabric at double-width is enough for 3 kilts may I suggest that you find 2 others to go in with you to purchase fabric.

And please keep the cost of a custom weave in the back of your mind as you go through this. Commissioning a custom run of fabric can give one sticker shock. Please expect to pay approx. $1000.000usd for the fabric alone.

Steps
    1 - Designing your Tartan - This can be done on one of the on-line Tartan design programs but keep in mind that some colors are less common than others. Avoid the additional cost of a custom dyed color if possible. And please confirm any restrictions on the use of free design programs. At least one has small print that says the owner of the program reserves the right to use any design created on their program.

2 - The Weaving of the fabric - You will need to contact a weaving mill either directly or through a shop with a commercial contract with the weaver. You provide the thread count for your Tartan and pay a down payment. Your order goes into the weaving queue with all the rest. Please expect around 3-4 months to receive your order.

3 - If you wish to list your design you must submit your design and conform to the requirements of the listing agency. The stickiest for some people is the name. Your chosen name must conform with the conventions. There may be an additional cost for listing and they may ask you to provide a woven sample. Sometimes this is optional. Your design is reviewed and if accepted you will receive a nice certificate that you can hang on your wall.

4 - You may also wish to protect your design with a Copyright. Please check with your local Copyright office for details.

5 - And finally you may wish to make your design "official". Some body or organization are who do this. You cannot just call your design official.

Please expect this process to take time and money. I have known some people to have a year or more to pass, and to have well over $3000.00usd invested before they have a kilt, in 'their' Tartan, that they can strap on.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

3. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve,
    the most important part of your message is semi-retirement, and in this case semi is much better than full.
    Let’s stay positive at this point when the whole world is trying to stay negative.
    A week ago I didn't even know about this forum, a couple of days ago I wasn't a member, and now I've (almost) found a new kilt,
    with the help of a group of people on the other side of the planet.
    Who knows what will be in a few days or in the future.
    I’ve learned something, and I’m willing to continue learning, we’ll see where that takes me.
    I usually have a story, and I like to joke at my own expense, so I’ll end this thread in that tone.
    In a conversation with my wife at one point we also came to the financial side of this whole story.
    I am sure that if I quote part of the conversation this thread will not comply with the forum rules.
    I’m kidding, but I firmly believe that there is a solution to every problem.
    After seven years of not smoking, I started smoking again, now I have a good reason to quit, and instead of the money going to smoke it will be used to make a kilt.
    I calculated a little and I can tell you it will be a beautiful kilt.
    My only fear is that I will need more material for kilt after quitting, because there is a real danger that I will gain a few pounds.
    Let's start with the design, which by the way is already finished, and which place is better to check other opinions from this forum, where people saw everything and anything.
    We will talk, when the opportunity arises... and if you will be interested.

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Purgy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello everyone!
    As I announced, I am forwarding store responses for which I have been advised to check the offer.
    Excellent research. They all sound likely to be acrylic or acrylic mislabelled as P/V. "Polywool" is, from what I've seen, pretty much always acrylic.

I certainly know a lot more than a couple of days ago, so I definitely made two decisions:

I can't say that I am satisfied with the answers from the stores, so I decided to listen to your recommendations,
    and regardless of the distance, postage and customs, order a kilt from USA kilts.
    I don’t have a final decision yet, Casual kilt or Semi-Trad, but it will almost certainly be 5 yards.
    I don’t know what the problem is, but I can’t open their website, so I didn’t fully check the offer.
    I've had problems with their site being down before. Just have to try again a little later and usually it'll be up. The technical difficulties on the web side do not reflect on their level of service. You may even want to give them a call and talk with someone there - their staff is very friendly and helpful.

All of my kilts from USA Kilts are their casual kilts. I have three of them and another on order. And I love them. I considered going with a semi-trad on the last one I ordered, and then decided against it. There's nothing wrong with them. They look great. I believe they use more material for the semi-trad kilts, so the pleats are smaller and there are more of them. But ultimately I love the velcro and the lack of buckles on their casual kilts. They're quite forgiving of weight changes - I speak from experience on this, since over the summer my scale has been showing the gravity at my house getting a little stronger, but that hasn't been much of a problem. As long as you've ordered them with a large enough waist and hip size, just velcro them in a different spot. If you expect to gain some weight, maybe bump up the size a little bit and velcro it down smaller in the meantime (this would probably be a good thing to ask them if you call). And without the buckles they wash really easy. I don't fly much, but others on here have also made the point that without buckles you can go through airport security without setting anything off.

I wear kilts as just normal clothing and do not have many opportunities to wear them in a more formal context, so their casual kilts are a good fit for me. USA Kilts has done a good job of targeting them toward their use cases - casual for everyday wear, semi-trad for frequently-worn-but-a-little-fancier, and their more traditional kilts for more traditional uses. Their semi-trads look great, but don't let the "casual" label scare you off - the casuals still look very nice, in my opinion.

But regardless, either one is a good choice.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scotweb

I have purchased several essential 8 yd kilts from scotweb in the last two years. They all were made with stabilizers, interfacing, and used the MM Poly/Viscose fabric.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to AustinDiver For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinDiver View Post
    I have purchased several essential 8 yd kilts from scotweb in the last two years. They all were made with stabilizers, interfacing, and used the MM Poly/Viscose fabric.
    Oooooh, I did not know that. I didn't know they did those that way. Thanks for the suggestion!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

As the owner of casual and semi-trad kilts from USA Kilts, I would put a plug in for the semi-trad. There's a little bit more material and it hangs and feels more "kilt-ish" than the casual which is designed to sit low, at the "jeans-waist", and closes with Velcro.

Best,
    Jonathan

Steve,
    the most important part of your message is semi-retirement, and in this case semi is much better than full.
    Let’s stay positive at this point when the whole world is trying to stay negative.
    A week ago I didn't even know about this forum, a couple of days ago I wasn't a member, and now I've (almost) found a new kilt,
    with the help of a group of people on the other side of the planet.
    Who knows what will be in a few days or in the future.
    I’ve learned something, and I’m willing to continue learning, we’ll see where that takes me.
    I usually have a story, and I like to joke at my own expense, so I’ll end this thread in that tone.
    In a conversation with my wife at one point we also came to the financial side of this whole story.
    I am sure that if I quote part of the conversation this thread will not comply with the forum rules.
    I’m kidding, but I firmly believe that there is a solution to every problem.
    After seven years of not smoking, I started smoking again, now I have a good reason to quit, and instead of the money going to smoke it will be used to make a kilt.
    I calculated a little and I can tell you it will be a beautiful kilt.
    My only fear is that I will need more material for kilt after quitting, because there is a real danger that I will gain a few pounds.
    Let's start with the design, which by the way is already finished, and which place is better to check other opinions from this forum, where people saw everything and anything.
    We will talk, when the opportunity arises... and if you will be interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poly/Viscose Kilts

The Celtic Croft has a full line of poly/viscose kilts. From great kilts to formal kilts. Our 5 and 9 yard kilts are made in Scotland by Strathmore with tartan from Marton Mills. Our other kilts, ancient kilts, great kilts and phillabegs are made by us with tartan from Marton Mills. We have been in business for 23 years.

https://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/shop/k...t-formal-kilt/
    https://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/shop/k...t-casual-kilt/
    https://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/shop/k...-great-kilt-b/
    https://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/produc...g-little-kilt/

Please let me know if you have any questions about our kilts.

Best.
    Joseph
    FSA Scot
    Joseph Croft FSA Scot
    Owner/Kilt Maker

http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/

Whiskey to a Scotchman is as innocent as milk to the rest of the human race.
    Mark Twain

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Celtic Croft For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there!

Is your PV from Marton Mills?

Thanks,
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by The Celtic Croft View Post
    The Celtic Croft has a full line of poly/viscose kilts. From great kilts to formal kilts. Our 5 and 9 yard kilts are made in Scotland by Strathmore with tartan from Marton Mills. Our other kilts, ancient kilts, great kilts and phillabegs are made by us with tartan from Marton Mills. We have been in business for 23 years.

https://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/shop/k...t-formal-kilt/
    https://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/shop/k...t-casual-kilt/
    https://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/shop/k...-great-kilt-b/
    https://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/produc...g-little-kilt/

Please let me know if you have any questions about our kilts.

Best.
    Joseph
    FSA Scot

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123