X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Antique Mid-18th Century dirk

I was fortunate enough to get this dirk from George Neumann when he was breaking up his collection in the early 1980's. I don't believe this one is illustrated in any of his books. His feeling, and I agreed, was that it was mid-18th century, as it had features older and but a shape newer than events c. 1745-6. He did not believe the scabbard was original. After I got it I learned a couple things. First, shortly after I got it I saw an almost exact match to this scabbard in the dirk collection at Inverary Castle. (George admitted later that was one on him.) Second, others with blade experience noted the fuller running down the back of the blade. Their comment was that this was a 17th century detail. Based on the fuller and overall blade proportions it seems the blade was made as a dirk blade in the late 17th or early 18th century, rather than cut down from a sword as some were. For whatever reason a new handle and scabbard were made in the mid-18 century. (Speculation is fun...)

You can see damage to the to of the scabbard chape. I don't think it is visible in the pictures, but there is a crack running top to bottom in the handle.

Open to comments and any opinions. A lot has been learned in the last 40 years, so I'm open.

20200929_144756 800x600.jpg
    20200929_144904 800x600.jpg
    20200929_144923 800x600.jpg

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to DCampbell16B For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dirk

That is a nice looking blade. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fascinating! The blade is very similar to a dirk I have that somehow came into possession of in the 80's, although the friend I thought gave it to me, has no recollection. The handle on mine is very functional, with no decorations whatever. I don't know the age of mine of mine, but due to the lack of decoration, I suspect 18th century, or replica. The blade looks vintage and I do own other vintage blades (almost all Chinese). I was going to post a picture, but this forum, stopped accepting posts of my pictures. I was looking for a photo hosting site, but I don't like Photobucket because they paste their name all over the picture. Any recommendations?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
    I was going to post a picture, but this forum, stopped accepting posts of my pictures.
    That's strange. Why so?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I knew why, I would fix it. I don't think I'm the only one to have difficulty.

Dave

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could it be the size or the format? If you want to PM me I'll see if I can help.