X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    As you are asking. If that is what you feel you need to do, then carry on. Personally it would not be what I would do, or, expect anyone else to do. Wearing someone else's tartan in such circumstances strikes me as being overly sentimental, rather insincere and unnecessary. Sorry.
    I suppose there is little difference between the question asked and 'would it be right to wear a Guards' Uniform or a US Marine's when you have not served in either if, in doing so, your purpose is to honour the memory of another?'

Honouring another takes many forms: a black arm-band during the year following his/her death; a black-wreathed painting or photograph; black garments in the period of mourning. Photos (sans the black) on the mantle or piano for all the years after his/her demise.

I suppose this will cause some discussion once again and, if so, that is good.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s just a matter of degree Rex and we all have a view on this subject ———any subject———and some have been expressed here. A question was asked and well formed answers, based on personal opinions were given, however what the person asking does with those opinions is entirely down to him. Such is life.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 6th October 20 at 12:38 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How I delt with the tribute question

When it came time for me to get a kilt as a tribute I went to Barb Tewksbury for a kilt in the Royal Naval Association Tartan, here is the story and photos:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...odyssey-35853/

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the OP's idea is fitting and lovely. If he's wearing his Mackintosh kilt someplace and gives his reason, I doubt if anyone wouldn't accept it.

I do a similar thing, though not with tartan. I grew up with family members who were WWII veterans, and in the shadow of having lost an uncle killed in action in that war. My father-in-law would sometimes wear a tie made to resemble the ribbon of the WWII Victory Medal, and when he passed I asked my mother-in-law for permission to wear it.

I often wear it when kilted. No-one has ever asked about it. If asked I would tell them that I wear it in tribute to my uncle, stepfather, and father-in-law, all passed. I would never dream of wearing a medal, medal ribbon, or article of uniform that belonged to any of these men; this tie is none of those, but an item of civilian attire.

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RedBeard, THERE ARE NO KILT POLICE....NONE...(unless you count the self-appointed).

Follow your heart. I've worn the tartans of many clans I am NOT blood to - at least that I know, Scot family trees can be tangled - simply because I liked the "look" of the tartan.

The only time I can recall a self-appointed tartan cop confronted me was for wearing Macdonald Lord of the Isles. He ranted, huffed and puffed that only Prince Charles could wear that tartan. I countered with, "Well they'd better tell Lochcarron that because they've been cranking out that tartan for many years and I've had a necktie in that tartan since high school."

Sadly, the man was just a nut case and he was asked to not come around Clan Donald affairs anymore. Of course I got all huffy too and wrote of for, and received a letter back from Clan Donald that it was just fine....of course, that was my own clan, not one I wasn't blood to.

I've worn unofficial military tartans in tribute and support of branches I've never served in, but relatives have. The two I served in I wear more out of respect for others who served than for my own service.

THERE ARE NO KILT POLICE - Wallow in the JOY of kilting....let your heart, and your sense of fashion, guide you.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    a self-appointed tartan cop confronted me for wearing MacDonald Lord of the Isles. He ranted, huffed and puffed that only Prince Charles could wear that tartan.
    Eejit.

Yes it's been in production for ages. Where do people get these ideas?
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Eejit.

Yes it's been in production for ages. Where do people get these ideas?
    Do you know, I dont know of anyone this side of the Atlantic ever being verbally taken to task for wearing a tartan that they might not be "entitled" to wear. Besides most would never know and certainly most would never dream of even asking.

Although thinking about it, wearing the Balmoral tartan without consent might be an exception and a quiet word in one's ear might well occur should the unlikely event take place.

However, us mere mortals do notice the odd discrepancy from time to time and we keep our thoughts to ourselves. That does not mean that we necessarily approve though. Its one of those "its not done" things that can and still does matter in some social circles within the UK-------- and on the surface-------- life goes quietly on. But............
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you do if your heritage doesn't happen to be Scottish? Levi Strauss...?

"No tartan for you! Wear this Italian table cloth, instead."

By the way, you may have difficulty getting someone to weave Balmoral for you ... unless they're selling it on Alibaba, these days.
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to work at a Highland outfitter where we had a large number of sample-books from three major mills.

Once somebody asked about the Balmoral tartan. Our answer was easy: if it wasn't in the sample-books we couldn't order it. It wasn't.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninehostages View Post

By the way, you may have difficulty getting someone to weave Balmoral for you ... unless they're selling it on Alibaba, these days.
    Exactly so. I did say; “ should the unlikely event take place”.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 8th October 20 at 07:41 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast