X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Piping on Veterans' Day 2020

Playing with the Association of Orange County Deputy Sheriffs Pipe Band at a banquet honouring veterans.

The lads in the car park before the event

Lads and ladies after we played. The trumpet player did an impressive solo Star Spangled Banner to begin the banquet.

We wear a bespoke tartan, which I very much like. These colours are more true, the tartan isn't olive as it looks in the photos above.

Last edited by OC Richard; 12th November 20 at 08:05 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very nice

would have been fun to hear

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new kit for band...

Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Playing with the Association of Orange County Deputy Sheriffs Pipe Band at a banquet honouring veterans.

The lads in the car park before the event

Lads and ladies after we played. The trumpet player did an impressive solo Star Spangled Banner to begin the banquet.

We wear a bespoke tartan, which I very much like. These colours are more true, the tartan isn't olive as it looks in the photos above.

Great looking kilts Richard, I like your sporran style better than the others in the band. Which one did they go with?

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Shinenotburn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinenotburn View Post
    Great looking kilts Richard, I like your sporran style better than the others in the band. Which one did they go with?
    Thanks!

It was my first gig with the band and they didn't have any more band sporrans to issue me, so I wore the vintage Nicoll Brothers sporran I've had for several years.

The AOCDS band sporrans are the style that became the standard Pipe Band sporran the world over back in the 1980s and 1990s. They have an engraved metal disc (laser engraved, probably) with the Sheriffs Department emblem on them.

When those band sporrans first came out, made by L&M or W E Scott, they always were like this, with the pierced cantle.

https://www.landmhighland.ca/product...nting-sporran/

Now tons of companies make them, with a number of variations on the original look.

Those discs became all the rage around 15 years ago. Some guy in Scotland starting making them and loads of bands bought them for cap-badges and sporran-badges. I was never a fan of them.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 15th November 20 at 12:31 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte