X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
    I do like deerstalker caps but they are a little pricy and want a better kilt first. I am sure a tam will be in the future.
    I don't really want to split hairs here, but in an effort to avoid confusion in any further discussion, I think most people here in Scotland would describe a deerstalker as a hat.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tweed cap, generally known as a 'bunnet,' is traditional working man's dress in Scotland. I am sure there will be photographs from the C19th of men wearing the kilt with a bunnet but probably in deerstalker mode, and it would be interesting to survey the range of headgear worn by ghillies on shooting estates in the years leading up, say, to World War Two but the standard tweed bunnet introduced in the later part of the C19th was most associated with jacket and trousers and I fancy you would struggle to see one on the napper of a man wearing the kilt.

Generally speaking, given that in Scotland the kilt is in most cases still traditionally worn at least semi-formally, that's to say with a jacket and tie, and on occasions when headgear is worn it would be expected to conform to traditional Highland dress i.e a Kilmarnock bonnet or 'Balmoral' (I can't comment on the collarless shirt and heavy boots fashion or the pirate shirt look, but in those instances I doubt headgear often comes into consideration). The notion that the Glengarry bonnet is the preserve of pipers and certain orders of military dress seems to be honoured as much in the breach as the observance and although not an ancient tradition, it is in my opinion a distinction worth observing. There is perhaps a case for its use with evening dress but nowadays that would be something of an affectation outside military circles.

I was brought up on the maxim that the kilt should not, among civilians, be worn furth of the Highlands and on NO account should brown shoes be worn south of Perth. There were no strictures as to headgear, first because it rarely came up and, secondly, because the options were deemed to be self evident. But then the dress code of the Royal Highland Regiment was second only to the Brigade of Guards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    there is still a bye law in the city of York(England)that was brought in during the Middle Ages, where Scotsmen were to be put to death on sight and the kilt was regarded as a give away, that has not been repealed.
    I was wondering how likely it was that an unfortunate Scotsman wearing the kilt might find himself in the streets of Medieval York?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    As it happens I wear a Kangol hat with my kilt quite a bit.

But it's not a flat cap, rather a Trilby. It's my go-to hat in general, keeping sun off my neck and ears as well as my face.

That is not a trilby, sir. The identification is interesting but elementary. It is in fact what is traditionally meant by a deerstalker. Upstart English detectives meanwhile can be sent packing on the 12.27 from Paddington.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jf42 View Post
    I was wondering how likely it was that an unfortunate Scotsman wearing the kilt might find himself in the streets of Medieval York?
    No idea. However, I think it was a nice way of the gentle folks of York suggesting that Wee Geordie------7ft tall and 4 ft wide------ and his 300 playful vagabonds should go and play elsewhere when they were planning an away match in England.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is not a trilby, sir. The identification is interesting but elementary. It is in fact what is traditionally meant by a deerstalker. Upstart English detectives meanwhile can be sent packing on the 12.27 from Paddington.

Really? This would be my idea and most people I know's idea of a deerstalker.

A deerstalker worn by a Deer Stalker.
    pony with paniers.jpg

And another (lopsided) Deer Stalker wearing a deerstalker.
    IMG_3239.jpg
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 5th October 20 at 08:06 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My image of the deerstalker matches the ones Jock has posted.

Richard's stylish tweed hat is what I might call a trilby, but where I grew up (Southern USA), it was called a "Bear Bryant hat" in honor of the University of Alabama football coach who usually wore one. I have a couple and wore them quite frequently when I lived in a cooler climate, although I haven't worn them with a kilt. I remember a men's clothing store in Tallahassee, Florida that actually had one of Bryant's hats on display in a glass case.

Andrew

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is not a trilby...
    Yes not a "Trilby" but a "Newmarket Trilby" according to the label

As authentic as a hat made in China for an Aussie firm can be!

But it's not just them, I just looked a a large number of UK makers and sellers call that style a Trilby

https://www.glencroftcountrywear.co....lby-tweed-hat/

It's one of those things where the more I look the less there is to see, because I see all sorts of names for that hat

Elgin
    Trilby
    Newmarket
    Highgrove
    Eske
    Grandfather's
    grouse
    fisherman's
    walking

by various UK and Irish makers and sellers.

True that there are a number of different "cuts" I suppose one could say, various ways of shaping the various panels that go to make up the shape. This Kangol hat has a long narrow more or less rectangular panel that goes fore to aft from band to band over the top of the head, and two semicircular side panels.

These two I wear have an oval panel forming the crown, with no seam in front or back, and a seam on each side.

It's like the kilt jackets, where one maker uses the terms Crail and Braemar different than another.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 5th October 20 at 10:28 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bear Bryant Hat

"Richard's stylish tweed hat is what I might call a trilby, but where I grew up (Southern USA), it was called a "Bear Bryant hat" in honor of the University of Alabama football coach who usually wore one."

Bear Bryant.jpg

This is a Bear Bryant hat................on Bear Bryant. Where in the south did you grow up?

Cheers,
    David
    Last edited by kiltedsawyer; 8th October 20 at 10:28 AM.
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Grouch Marx

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you can turn the back of the brim up like Bear Bryant, or turn it down all the way around like Sean Connery

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast