X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Subtle differences for sure

Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Yes you can turn the back of the brim up like Bear Bryant, or turn it down all the way around like Sean Connery

I don't know Richard, seems like the brim on your hat may be just a little wider and the hats I've seen that resemble Bear Bryant's hat are formed or blocked to have the two dimples on the side. I agree they are much alike overall, but Bear Bryant's hat is considered a fedora and I think yours may be considered more of a bucket.
    Cheers,

David
    Last edited by kiltedsawyer; 8th October 20 at 12:28 PM.
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Grouch Marx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

Yes not a "Trilby" but a "Newmarket Trilby" according to the label

As authentic as a hat made in China for an Aussie firm can be!
    Kangol was originally a British brand that began manufacturing in 1938 - no Kangol hats have ever been made in Australia. According to Wikipedia the 'roo logo was adopted in 1983 because "Americans commonly asked where they could get the Kangaroo hat".

"The name Kangol reflects the original production where the K was for knitting, the ANG was for angora, and the OL was for wool"

http://letslookagain.com/tag/history-of-kangol/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangol
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 8th October 20 at 02:47 PM.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Jock

You may also be interested to know that there is still a bye law in the city of York(England)that was brought in during the Middle Ages, where Scotsmen were to be put to death on sight and the kilt was regarded as a give away, that has not been repealed. I hasten to add that no Scot has met a sticky end for the last couple of centuries by that law being invoked!

[/QUOTE]
    I hope not, my fluent Gaidhlig speaking brother, was married in York. He and most of the male guests wore the kilt even if they were English, sadly mostly hired kilts but better than nothing...
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hat terms can be a bit variable--especially when we compare US and British English. What folks in the US generally call a fedora is often called a trilby in Britain.

i was born in Florida and spent most of my childhood (70s-80s) in Georgia. But in both places, a tweed fedora/trilby style hat was strongly associated with Bear Bryant.

Richard, the great Australian hat company is Akubra. They don't have a marsupial emblem on their hats, but they are stylish and nearly indestructible. Their "bush" styles have some of the rugged feel of a cowboy hat, while their "city" hats are mostly elegant fedoras. I have one of the latter, a Federation IV in gray, which is my go-to hat for rain. My son has my dad's old green "coober peddy" bush hat, which will remind those of us who were alive in the 1980s of "Crocodile Dundee." Akubra also produces the "slouch" hats worn by the Aussie military, which work as good-looking safari hats, as well.

The bush and slouch Akubra models might look well with a kilt and a khaki shirt, for a sort of tropical adventurer vibe. However, I usually wear my pith helmet for that sort of look, myself (it's actually pretty practical here in South China most of the year).

Andrew

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123