X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wearing a kilt to a wedding for the first time

Ok, first off this is not my wedding, it is a friend/co-worker of my wife's. Thankfully when asking for permission I was given the green light. This wedding is also a 1920s-30s theme. So I've bought an argyle waistcoat and jacket. Trying to keep to the appropriate era and style, without breaking the bank I wanted some insight about a few accessories.

I currently only have two day sporrans... pretty well worn too. Should I go with a semi-formal leather or go the whole way and get a fur with silver cantle to match the waistcoat and jacket? I've also got a pair of black wool blend hose. I'm sure some will say that I should get either cream (white is a no-no) or some other color or if you think black for this one time would be alright.

Last thing I was going to ask is about a sash. I'm not sure if my wife will be wearing the wool-mix sash that matches my State of Michigan tartan kilt I own. If she doesn't and I want to wear it would that be too much for a wedding as a simple guest? So to clarify I and my wife are guests we are not a part of the bridal party. So I'm asking if that is too formal or not. I've honestly not been to many wedding and again this is my first in a kilt.

Thank you for the help and advise.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you ask - no to the sash, and you'll probably get more use and satisfaction from the semi formal leather sporran - as for the hose - whatever you feel happy with is probably the way to go.
    You really do not want to go too flashy - it isn't your wedding after all - the best thing to aim for is to look well dressed - but not to go over the top. I'd also recommend taking guidance from your wife so you are a matched pair on the day, and wives tend to gave a more exact sense for the level of dress appropriate for the event.
    I hope you enjoy the day.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditch the sash.

In terms of the sporran, a day sporran or semi-dress probably works best. That said I have worn my kilt to 3 weddings, 2 at the express request of the bride (the other was my own), at all three I wore a dress sporran - although with different jackets (PC, black argyle and charcoal crail). However, my dress sporran is fairly subtle in grey seal, with a relatively plain cantle - and whilst not entirely correct for daywear, I think I can get away with it (esp. as many others wouldn't appreciate the difference anyway). Go with what you think works best or are happiest with - but maybe best to keep it low key.

In terms of the hose, I would avoid white, cream or ecru - unless you are in a pipe band or wearing a hire outfit. Black is probably a better option and would work well with your tartan and choice of jacket. Otherwise, a plain colour picking out either the main field or one of the secondary colours of your kilt could be an option. Claret would probably work well with your tartan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living in Scotland I've been to a few kilted weddings and also seen many wedding parties at other venues where the kilts are worn.
    On every occasion the sash is only worn by the groom and never by any other member of the wedding party, quite often it's the only difference between the groom and others, especially if it's all been hired.

Having said that, if you are the only one wearing the kilt I doubt anyone would think it strange or even know the difference.
    I myself have a wedding this month and as far as I'm aware I'll be the only one in highland wear,it will be without the sash.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on what your thinking really wants. Do you want a dress theme along the traditional highland Scots wedding lines? Do you want to dress along the hire shop theme? Do you want to dress along a more pantomime-esque line? There are distinct differences in choice. For help with the last two choices then google images have plenty of pictures to help you make your choices.

A picture(click to enlarge) for you to consider of me dressed in a basic standard style of kilt attire for the traditional Highland Scots wedding guest to wear that is still worn to this day. Lounge/business suit equivalent.

DSCN0041.jpg
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 5th October 20 at 01:54 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 10 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stay well clear of the sash...and the black hose. For hose choose a colour or colour-blend that you like; stay away from white, and even ecru (with some exceptions).

You haven't told us the time of day but if it's an afternoon wedding go with Jock Scot's (our well-dressed landed gentleman) suggestion, but you have selected an Argyle jacket with, I assume, silver-coloured buttons, so I think this is either late-afternoon or evening? If you decide to purchase a new sporran, stay away from the 'semi-dress' ones. Those are neither a hither nor a fro in the Highlands, although I've often seen them worn in Edinburgh and in NA. Go with a plain, good quality black, or a brown 'hunter' style.

If you want to see pics of what the perfectly-attired wears in Scotland, google 'Prince Charles highland dress'.

And, as Anne said, talk with your wife.
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 5th October 20 at 05:12 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a photo from the last kilted wedding I went to. The groom and groomsmen are wearing black barathea argyll jackets, the groom is wearing a claret waistcoat while the others wear black. I am wearing a Lovat green Argyll and waistcoat with purple hose and my Scottish wildcat Tartan with a plain brown leather day sporran with a long link silver chain and a dress sign dubh with black dress shoes. A sash is for women, please leave it a home or have your wife wear it. If I were to wear your tartan I would suggest claret as there is a red stripe in the tartan.

11. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wedding shot

Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    Here is a photo from the last kilted wedding I went to. The groom and groomsmen are wearing black barathea argyll jackets, the groom is wearing a claret waistcoat while the others wear black. I am wearing a Lovat green Argyll and waistcoat with purple hose and my Scottish wildcat Tartan with a plain brown leather day sporran with a long link silver chain and a dress sign dubh with black dress shoes. A sash is for women, please leave it a home or have your wife wear it. If I were to wear your tartan I would suggest claret as there is a red stripe in the tartan.

You all look great McMurdo.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Shinenotburn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we need to make it crystal clear that in some circumstances it is perfectly acceptable to wear tweed and day attire in the evening. It does depend though on the circumstance of the event and the intentions of one’s host.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[/QUOTE]

This is a very nice wedding party photo, I always think it looks so much better when all the kilts and highland wear are different from each other.
    When everyone is wearing something similar then it usually means hired and although there's nothing wrong with hiring I do enjoy seeing the different styles.

17. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Mr stonk For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast