X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Organizing kilt gear in a closet

I'm trying to reorganize my clothing storage, and got to wondering how other folks store their kilt gear. Not just kilts (I have kilt hangers for those), but other associated stuff. I don't have much for drawer space, but I do have hanging space, so I figured I'd try the following:

After I ordered them, I thought "you dummy, you should have asked about this on XMTS". So I'm wondering: how have all y'all solved the storage/organization problem?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    • Sporrans I wrap the straps or chains around them and alternate right-side-up/upside-down in a plastic crate.
    • Hats I have an IKEA wall-mount hat stand for.
    • Flashes I wrap the elastic around them and place upside-down in a shoe tree.
    • Garter ties I tie in a slipknot and place upside down in the same shoe tree as the flashes
    • Kilts I hang on pants hangers (two hangers per kilt).
    • Ties I have a tie rack for.
    • Belts I also hang on a separate tie rack.
    • Kilt pins are each in their own cloth bag, in a bigger cloth bag next to the sgianan-dubha, which are laying loose on a shelf.
    • Hose are folded the same way they come from HoE, then rolled and placed in a metal tray on the shelf next to the sporran crate.
    Last edited by imbrius; 12th October 20 at 02:26 PM.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to imbrius For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a kilt hanging bag from Order of the Gael. It has a very good kilt hanger with very strong clips. The hanger also has notches in it to keep your vest straight and has "shoulders" to support a kilt jacket. The bag has loops for your belts (just slide them in and the loop will keep the buckle from sliding down). It also has pockets designed just to hold standard-size sporrans and there is a nice zip compartment at the bottom for socks and shoes. Most tam, balmoral, or glengarry bonnets will fit easily in the sporran pockets.

I use this piece of luggage as a kilt storage & organizing tool. My small items (flashes, kilt pin, etc.) are kept inside a day sporran that lives in the bag. My Prince Charlie jacket & vest live in the bag, along with much of my miscellaneous kilt stuff. Since my kilt wardrobe has expanded to include a couple of kilts and multiple jackets, those have their own hangers in my closet, outside the bag.

I have a top drawer in my dresser where I stash my extra kilt hose. Bonnets store pretty flat, so they mostly fit in the bag or on a shelf in my closet. That shelf also holds my pith helmet, which is my go-to summer kilt hat. I really like hats, so I do have a nice hat rack near the door of my place, and the top of the wardrobe in our bedroom is piled with hat boxes containing my nicer headgear from places like Optimo in Chicago or Hats Direct in Sydney.

I generally wear regular dress shoes with my kilt, so these are stored on the shoe rack in my room, ready to wear on any work day. The patent-leather shoes I wear for black tie live on the floor of my wardrobe (we don't have built-in closets in my Chinese apartment). I don't own any ghillies or mary-janes or other kilt-specific footwear.

The Order of the Gael bag is actually a very functional piece of luggage and I have used it to carry my kilt on flights halfway across the world with no trouble. My kilt pin was well tucked away inside a sporran, so there was no issue with airport security. I have left my sgian dubh and dirk at home in Florida, rather than trying to get knives through the many airports and countries I have visited. I have considered picking up a short knife here in Asia to wear in my sock, but have yet to actually do so.

Although I strongly recommend the Order of the Gael bag, I have decided that the kilt hanger from USA Kilts is even better. So if you just need a kilt hanger, get one of those. But for an all-in-one kilt keeper, the O of the G bag is pretty hard to beat.

Andrew
    Last edited by kingandrew; 13th October 20 at 08:25 AM. Reason: fixed spelling

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180912_175649_copy_600x800.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	39302

Made this for my sporrans
    Last edited by Queenslander; 13th October 20 at 06:46 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Queenslander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180912_175649_copy_600x800.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	39302

Made this for my sporrans
    Very nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    Although I strongly recommend the Order of the Gael bag, I have decided that the kilt hanger from USA Kilts is even better. So if you just need a kilt hanger, get one of those. But for an all-in-one kilt keeper, the O of the G bag is pretty hard to beat.
    That looks like it'd be a great way to travel with a kilt outfit, especially for band members. And all of my kilt hangers are from USA Kilts - they are very good quality.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Divorcing need from necessity is, I think, the key to all this. How many kilts do you need? How many sporrans, hose, shoes, bonnets, kilt pins, shirts, flashes do you really need?

For me and many traditional Scots will also think along these lines, two kilts(same Clan tartan), two kilt pins, two sporran belts(one silver chain--one leather), one tweed kilt jacket, one black barathea silver buttoned argyle(BBSBA), one sporran, one pair of flashes, one balmoral(most will not own a bonnet), one kilt belt, one SD.

Shirts, shoes, hose, ties, cuff links, etc., are mostly interchangeable with my saxon attire.

Job done.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 14th October 20 at 06:50 AM. Reason: forgot something.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

11. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Divorcing need from necessity is, I think, the key to all this. How many kilts do you need? How many sporrans, hose, shoes, bonnets, kilt pins, shirts, flashes do you really need?

For me and many traditional Scots will also think along these lines, two kilts(same Clan tartan), two kilt pins, two sporran belts(one silver chain--one leather), one tweed kilt jacket, one black barathea silver buttoned argyle(BBSBA), one sporran, one pair of flashes, one balmoral(most will not own a bonnet), one kilt belt.

Shirts, shoes, hose, ties, cuff links, etc., are mostly interchangeable with my saxon attire.

Job done.
    I love sporrans and have four decent ones. Other than that, you’ve described my closet almost exactly.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be quite happy to have another sporran Bill, the trouble is, that after four score years of searching I have yet to find one that I like.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I would be quite happy to have another sporran Bill, the trouble is, that after four score years of searching I have yet to find one that I like.
    Aye. The sporran's the place that to my eye has the most 'pop' and 'bling' in Highland wear. Only one sghian that I often wear and one pin on each of the kilts which just lives there.

I guess it's mostly the lifelong tendency in me to be a collector - stamps, sea shells, leaves and so on when I was younger; sporrans now, but really the 'modern' and 'hunting' tartan kilts each with it's own pin are surely enough for me.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast