X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Such a disappointment!

Have you considered having a tailor move the straps before resorting to extenders? My kilt arrived a bit smaller than expected, as well. For $25, my tailor moved the straps to my exact specifications and it fits really well now.

Something to consider if you only need an extra inch or two ...

Best wishes,
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M. View Post
    I had much the same experience. USPS has really underperformed this Christmas season...they are normally reasonably fast, and quite good about tracking. Not this year.

My big headache is that the kilt came in a bit small. I used measurements done by USAK when they did up my semi-traditional (which runs a little large on me)...the new kilt came in barely able to fit. I've got strap extenders on order, but it's a bit irksome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktk1961 View Post
    Such a disappointment!

Have you considered having a tailor move the straps before resorting to extenders? My kilt arrived a bit smaller than expected, as well. For $25, my tailor moved the straps to my exact specifications and it fits really well now.

Something to consider if you only need an extra inch or two ...

Best wishes,
    Kevin
    Is this something that any tailor should be able to do?

I have one older kilt that's about 2" too small (I currently wear with extender straps), and two new ones that are just an inch or two large (I can wear, but on the last hole, and not quite as snug as I'd like).

I've never used a tailor, and hesitate to walk into any random one with so much at stake.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should think so, yes. It's actually not a very difficult thing to do ...

I made detailed notes for the tailor and even printed out a picture of the back of the kilt with lines showing where I wanted the straps moved. Basically, I had him move the straps on the right hip forward (toward the front of the kilt) about 1.5". Lucky for me, they balanced the strap on the left hip, which was already further forward than the straps on the right hip. I then had him move the strip on the front panel out 0.5". That gave me the extra 2" I was looking for.

When I look at the kilt now you cannot tell that the straps have been moved at all.

Good luck!
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    Is this something that any tailor should be able to do?

I have one older kilt that's about 2" too small (I currently wear with extender straps), and two new ones that are just an inch or two large (I can wear, but on the last hole, and not quite as snug as I'd like).

I've never used a tailor, and hesitate to walk into any random one with so much at stake.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ktk1961 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it looks as if my kilt will arrive on Monday. Let's hope I don't need to have a tailor make any adjustments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fingers crossed for you. But I wouldn't worry about moving the straps a bit if needed.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by LRRP View Post
    Well, it looks as if my kilt will arrive on Monday. Let's hope I don't need to have a tailor make any adjustments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very pleased

I received my “special deal” kilt the other week and am really quite pleased. The fit and finish are wonderful. I should note that it has brought a new appreciation of the semi-traditional PV kilt offered by USAK. Certainly there are differences but I can say with conviction that the PV option is quite the bargain.
    At a time like this one must ask themselves, 'WWJDD"
    What Would Jimmy Durante Do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the post office failed me yet again. My kilt is stuck in Nashville. Looks like it will likely be delivered when I am out of town.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scottish 8-yar kilt

I ordered my 8 yard Scottish made kilt on the last day of the special. It took seven weeks and two days from order until it was shipped. It took 13 days from shipment until received on January 2. I couldn’t be happier With the kilt. I believe that whoever the kilt maker is upheld the high standards that Rocky requires. I ordered the Tara muted Murphy tartan To represent my Irish ancestry. The family name on my mother side is Ford, that were Scottish and immigrated to Ireland before coming to the United States. I was surprised that it was made so quickly. Being that it went into the mail system during Christmas, I’m not surprised it took 13 days to go from Rocky do you North Carolina. Again I couldn’t be happier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usps

I have had lots of problems with the u.s. Postal system. Time and time again they take two, three or four times longer than they say. I only use ups now and while not perfect (who is?) 99% of the time they get your packages to where they go and when they are supposed to be there.
    Not to offend anyone here but....the usps sucks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine isn't due to arrive for another few weeks because they had to special-order the material, which delayed things a bit, but I figured the wait is worth it to get exactly what I wanted rather than settling.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast